News | Entertainment
4 Apr 2025 23:59
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Entertainment

    Prince William promised to "look after" Catherine, Princess of Wales on his first official engagement since she revealed she had been diagnosed with cancer

    The 41-year-old royal helped out with loading and cooking at food distribution charity Surplus to Supper in Sudbury-on-Thames in Surrey on Thursday (18.04.24) and he appeared visibly moved when a volunteer handed him cards for his wife and his father, King Charles, who is also being treated for the disease


    William told Rachel Candappa: "Thank you, you are very kind".

    The 71-year-old volunteer told the prince to look after his wife and he put his hand on her shoulder as he promised: "I will".

    Speaking afterwards, Rachel admitted she didn't expect to be able to give the cards to William personally.

    She told the Daily Telegraph newspaper: "I was at home at 8.30 last night and I thought I had to do something this is a chance to give a card directly to the palace officials. I didn't think I'd be able to give the cards to William.

    "I said 'can I shake your hand', I loved it, he was very down to earth. I'm never washing my hand again.

    "He pointed at the food and said 'That's spaghetti hoops' and I asked 'How do you know about spaghetti hoops and he said 'I've got children'. "

    William watched as volunteers sorted out items including soaps, hand wash and make-up before pulling on an apron to help chef Mario Colfait, who was making bolognaise, chilli con carne and sausage casserole.

    He said: "It smells good in here Mario."

    The prince - who has three children with Catherine - joked he was worried about slicing off his fingers as he was handed a large knife to chop celery.

    He said: "It's the biggest knife, hope for the best. "I don't want to mess up everyone's lunch. I hope I haven't ruined your lunch, but you can blame me."

    As well as his efforts in the kitchen, William also privately gave the charity a box of unused food taken from the kitchen at his home in Windsor, Adelaide Cottage.

    Catherine announced in a video message on 22 March that she was being treated for cancer after the disease was detected following her abdominal surgery in January.

    © 2025 Bang Showbiz, NZCity

     Other Entertainment News
     04 Apr: Kevin Bacon doesn't let fame affect him
     04 Apr: Mark Ronson's DJ set has led to him being hospitalised
     04 Apr: Tarek El Moussa thinks Christina Haack will get married for a fourth time
     04 Apr: Richard E. Grant has used "blind faith" to get through difficult times
     04 Apr: Cher will "miss" her "pain in the a**" ex-boyfriend Val Kilmer
     04 Apr: Weston Cage has been granted a two-year mental health diversion programme by a judge
     04 Apr: Kristen Doute struggled to come to terms with her miscarriage because there were "no answers" for her
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    Chiefs coach Clayton McMillan's preparing for a battle in the wet in a top-of-the-table Super Rugby clash with the Reds at Waikato Stadium tonight More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    Economists are still expecting a drop in interest rates - despite strong headwinds in the global trade environment More...



     Today's News

    Rugby:
    Chiefs coach Clayton McMillan's preparing for a battle in the wet in a top-of-the-table Super Rugby clash with the Reds at Waikato Stadium tonight 21:57

    Entertainment:
    Kevin Bacon doesn't let fame affect him 21:48

    Entertainment:
    Mark Ronson's DJ set has led to him being hospitalised 21:18

    Law and Order:
    A man's been charged with assault - after an unidentified liquid was thrown at a Palmerston North parking warden last month 21:17

    International:
    What we know so far about the Australian superannuation fund cyber attacks 21:07

    Entertainment:
    Tarek El Moussa thinks Christina Haack will get married for a fourth time 20:48

    Entertainment:
    Richard E. Grant has used "blind faith" to get through difficult times 20:18

    Entertainment:
    Cher will "miss" her "pain in the a**" ex-boyfriend Val Kilmer 19:48

    Entertainment:
    Weston Cage has been granted a two-year mental health diversion programme by a judge 19:18

    Politics:
    National wants to get the Treaty Principles Bill over and done with 18:57


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2025 New Zealand City Ltd