News | Entertainment
4 Apr 2025 23:29
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Entertainment

    Police have asked prosecutors to consider bringing charges against Russell Brand

    The disgraced comic has been interviewed by cops three times since a joint investigation by the Sunday Times, The Times, and 'Dispatches' in September 2023 uncovered multiple allegations of historical emotional and sexual abuse, including rape, against the 'Forgetting Sarah Marshall' star, and now a file of evidence has been sent to the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) to see if the claims will be taken further


    The Metropolitan Police confirmed they had had received a number of reports of sexual offences from women following the original investigation.

    They added: "A man in his 40s had been interviewed by officers under caution on three separate occasions.

    "A file of evidence has now been passed to the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) for their consideration."

    And the CPS confirmed they had been handed a file to consider charges in relation to allegations of historical sex offences.

    Detective Superintendent Andy Furphy, whose team is leading the investigation, said: "We have a team of dedicated officers providing specialist support to the women who have come forward."

    "We are committed to investigating sexual offences, no matter how long ago they are alleged to have taken place.

    Russell - who has three children with wife Laura Gallacher and was married to Katy Perry from 2010 to 2012 - previously said it was "very, very painful" to be accused of what he "considers to be the most appalling crimes".

    He insisted the allegations were untrue.

    He told Tucker Carlson on the controversial presenter's X show: " Of course, I deny any allegations of the kind that have been advanced and what I have seen is the significance of family and the importance of beliefs that are transcendent of this.

    "I reject the allegations in the strongest possible terms."

    The original investigation alleged the incidents took place between 2006 and 2013, when the 'Get Him to the Greek' star had a number of high-profile jobs, including on BBC Radio 2 and Channel 4, and he claimed he had been in a "vulnerable" position because of his lifestyle at the time.

    "Attacks like this, accused of what I consider to be the most appalling crimes, is very painful and hurtful. But there are consequences to the foolish way I lived in the past."

    © 2025 Bang Showbiz, NZCity

     Other Entertainment News
     04 Apr: Kevin Bacon doesn't let fame affect him
     04 Apr: Mark Ronson's DJ set has led to him being hospitalised
     04 Apr: Tarek El Moussa thinks Christina Haack will get married for a fourth time
     04 Apr: Richard E. Grant has used "blind faith" to get through difficult times
     04 Apr: Cher will "miss" her "pain in the a**" ex-boyfriend Val Kilmer
     04 Apr: Weston Cage has been granted a two-year mental health diversion programme by a judge
     04 Apr: Kristen Doute struggled to come to terms with her miscarriage because there were "no answers" for her
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    Chiefs coach Clayton McMillan's preparing for a battle in the wet in a top-of-the-table Super Rugby clash with the Reds at Waikato Stadium tonight More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    Economists are still expecting a drop in interest rates - despite strong headwinds in the global trade environment More...



     Today's News

    Rugby:
    Chiefs coach Clayton McMillan's preparing for a battle in the wet in a top-of-the-table Super Rugby clash with the Reds at Waikato Stadium tonight 21:57

    Entertainment:
    Kevin Bacon doesn't let fame affect him 21:48

    Entertainment:
    Mark Ronson's DJ set has led to him being hospitalised 21:18

    Law and Order:
    A man's been charged with assault - after an unidentified liquid was thrown at a Palmerston North parking warden last month 21:17

    International:
    What we know so far about the Australian superannuation fund cyber attacks 21:07

    Entertainment:
    Tarek El Moussa thinks Christina Haack will get married for a fourth time 20:48

    Entertainment:
    Richard E. Grant has used "blind faith" to get through difficult times 20:18

    Entertainment:
    Cher will "miss" her "pain in the a**" ex-boyfriend Val Kilmer 19:48

    Entertainment:
    Weston Cage has been granted a two-year mental health diversion programme by a judge 19:18

    Politics:
    National wants to get the Treaty Principles Bill over and done with 18:57


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2025 New Zealand City Ltd