News | International
5 Apr 2025 12:24
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > International

    United Nations accuses Myanmar military of breaching its own ceasefire and restricting aid after earthquake

    The UN is investigating 53 alleged attacks launched by Myanmar's military after it called a ceasefire against rebel groups.



    Myanmar's military has been accused by the United Nations of breaching its own ceasefire by attacking rebel groups that oppose its rule across the country.

    The UN also claimed the junta had been restricting aid to some areas devastated by last week's earthquake, which has now killed more than 3,100 people.

    As relief efforts continued on the ground on Friday, local time, US Secretary of State Marco Rubio confirmed America would no longer provide the majority of global humanitarian aid and called on other countries to step up.

    The accusations against Myanmar's ruling junta came as military chief Min Aung Hlaing made a rare trip abroad to meet Asian leaders in Thailand.

    He has been shunned by most world leaders since taking power in 2021, when the military overthrew the democratically elected government.

    His visit wasn't welcomed by all, with some protesters hanging a banner outside the venue which read: "We do not welcome murderer Min Aung Hlaing."

    The ostracised leader met with Thailand's Prime Minister Paetongtarn Shinawatra and Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi, with recovery from the quake a common topic.

    India's foreign ministry said Mr Modi called for the current temporary ceasefire to be made permanent in the country.

    Last Friday's 7.7-magnitude earthquake has now killed at least 3,145, with more than 4,500 injured and more than 200 still missing, the junta said.

    Air strikes allegedly conducted after ceasefire call

    The UN Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights said it was investigating 53 reported attacks by the junta against opponents, including air strikes, 16 of which were after the ceasefire announcement on April 2.

    The UN also said the junta was restricting aid supplies to quake-hit areas where local communities did not back its rule.

    A junta spokesman did not respond to calls from Reuters seeking comment.

    On Friday, the United Nations aid chief Tom Fletcher and special envoy to Myanmar, Julie Bishop, were set to arrive in the country.

    As recovery and relief efforts continue, extreme heat and forecast rain could hamper teams on the ground trying to help those in desperate need of assistance.

    There are also concerns the conditions could spread disease.

    Aid groups say the country is in urgent need of medical supplies, clean drinking water and food.

    Earthquake survivors sleeping outside after their homes were damaged or destroyed are also in need of tents and mosquito nets.

    Teams from countries including China, India and Russia are continuing to work to recover those trapped under the rubble in Myanmar's capital, Naypyidaw, and the country's second biggest city, Mandalay.

    The UN's sexual health and reproduction agency said at least 173,855 pregnant women in Myanmar were at risk following the earthquake.

    The organisation's representative in Myanmar, Jaime Nadal Roig, said "birth does not stop, even in an earthquake."

    He said work was underway to try and provide urgent medical care in areas without electricity, and without working medical facilities.

    "We cannot allow this crisis to take away from women’s rights, their safety, or their futures," he said.

    He reiterated the call for the international community to provide more aid and funding to help aid agencies on the ground reach those most in need.

    US says it has 'other needs' 

    The US sent a team of three people to Myanmar a week after the earthquake, a move which underlined the impact of Donald Trump's cuts to the US foreign aid program.

    The US Agency for International Development, or USAID, has been largely dismantled.

    Speaking to reporters in Brussel, Marco Rubio confirmed the US would no longer lead international aid and recovery efforts.

    "We're not the government of the world," Mr Rubio said.

    "We'll provide humanitarian assistance, just like everybody else does, and we we'll do it the best we can but we also have other needs we have to balance that against."

    He said the US shouldn't have to shoulder 60-70 per cent of humanitarian aid around the world, calling on "rich countries" in the world to pitch in.

    "We are the richest country in the world, but our resources are not unlimited … we have a massive national debt. We have many other priorities as well and it's time to recalibrate all of that. So we'll be there. We'll be helpful as much as we can. We've got other things we have to take care of as well," he said.

    "China is a very rich country. India is a rich country. There are a lot of other countries in the world, and everyone should pitch in."

    Rohingya refugees to return home under deal

    In spite of the earthquake disaster, Myanmar has confirmed that 180,000 Rohingya refugees living in neighbouring Bangladesh after fleeing their homeland are eligible to return, the Bangladesh government's press office said on Friday.

    The announcement, following talks in at the BIMSTEC summit in Bangkok, offered a possible breakthrough in the long-stalled repatriation process.

    More than a million Rohingya have been crammed into the camps in south-eastern Bangladesh, the world's largest refugee settlement. 

    Most fled a brutal crackdown by Myanmar's military in 2017, although some have been there for longer.

    Around 70,000 Rohingya crossed into Bangladesh last year, many fleeing worsening hunger and violence in Myanmar's Rakhine State.

    Friday's announcement followed a meeting in Bangkok between Khalilur Rahman, High Representative of Bangladesh's interim government led by Nobel laureate Muhammad Yunus, and Than Swe, Myanmar's deputy prime minister and foreign minister.

    The 180,000 names were part of a list of 800,000 Rohingya that Bangladesh submitted to Myanmar in six batches between 2018 and 2020. 

    Myanmar has also indicated that final verification of another 70,000 refugees is pending further review of photographs and identity details.

    The statement said Myanmar had pledged to expedite the verification process for the remaining 550,000 names on the original list.

    Myanmar's government did not immediately comment on the outcome of the meeting in Bangkok.

    The Rohingya refugees have little hope of returning to their homeland, where they continue to face systematic denial of citizenship and basic rights.

    Attempts to begin repatriation in 2018 and 2019 failed as the refugees, fearing prosecution, refused to go back.

    "After all these years, they are confirming only 180,000 names. This feels like nothing more than an eyewash. We want a genuine solution," one Rohingya refugee, Shafiqur Rahman, told Reuters.

    "Myanmar must take all of us back — not just a selected few — and they must ensure we return with full rights, dignity, and citizenship. Without that, this process means nothing to us."

    ABC/wires


    ABC




    © 2025 ABC Australian Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved

     Other International News
     05 Apr: For America's small businesses, Trump's tariffs are delivering some unwelcome surprises
     05 Apr: Man rescued from burning Connecticut home tells police he started blaze to escape 20 years of captivity
     05 Apr: Russell Brand charged with rape and sexual assault
     05 Apr: China hits back at Trump with 34 per cent tariffs on all US goods
     04 Apr: What we know so far about the Australian superannuation fund cyber attacks
     04 Apr: North Sentinel Island: How have the Sentinelese people stayed isolated for so long?
     04 Apr: The independents in the 2025 election, their electorate, and what they stand for
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    The Chiefs plan to continue leaning on their bench as they move forward in the Super Rugby season More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    Food Safety Minister Andrew Hoggard, is confident he's disclosed all relevant conflicts of interest with Cabinet More...



     Today's News

    Health & Safety:
    An opportunity to think more creatively when it comes to therapy 11:56

    Entertainment:
    Tom Cruise has paid tribute to his friend and 'Top Gun' co-star Val Kilmer 11:48

    Soccer:
    Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola has hailed midfielder Kevin de Bruyne as one of the greatest players in Premier League football history, after the club captain's announcement he'd be leaving at the end of the season 11:36

    Education:
    Auckland's annual Polyfest is wrapping up today, 50 years after it first started 11:26

    Living & Travel:
    Fifty teams of Mini lovers are continuing their huge 24-hundred-kilometre journey today 11:26

    Business:
    Food Safety Minister Andrew Hoggard, is confident he's disclosed all relevant conflicts of interest with Cabinet 11:26

    Politics:
    The New Zealand Institute of Building Surveyors wants changes to speed up building consent delays 11:26

    Entertainment:
    Leigh-Anne Pinnock is devastated after losing both of her dogs within weeks of each other 11:18

    Business:
    For America's small businesses, Trump's tariffs are delivering some unwelcome surprises 11:16

    Entertainment:
    Antoine Fuqua's upcoming biopic on Michael Jackson may be split into two films 10:48


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2025 New Zealand City Ltd