News | Law and Order
4 Apr 2025 8:45
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Law and Order

    Ex-Australian rugby captain Rocky Elsom handed two-year jail term in France for misusing corporate assets

    French authorities had issued an arrest warrant for Rocky Elsom, who faces two years in prison for his conduct while president of a French rugby club.


    Former Australia rugby captain Rocky Elsom has been handed a two-year jail sentence in France after misusing corporate funds during his time as club president of Narbonne.

    French authorities have been forced to issue a warrant for his arrest after the 42-year-old did not show up in court on Friday, local time.

    He was also fined 100,000 euros ($172, 200) with half the sum suspended. 

    Elsom was president of southern French club Narbonne from 2015-16.

    He went on trial for embezzling club funds by making unjustified expenditures to pay a coach or a general manager who was living in Australia at the time.

    He was acquitted on charges of forgery and use of forgery but was ordered to pay 230,000 euros in compensation to the club's liquidator.

    His lawyer Yann Le Bras appealed.

    During a trial last month, the prosecutor requested a three-year prison sentence and a fine of 630,000 euros.

    Elsom's lawyer had pleaded for an acquittal.

    In a previous trial in October last year, Elsom was sentenced to five years in prison but did not attend the hearing.

    He has been the subject of an international arrest warrant since that conviction.

    As allowed by French law, Elsom requested to be retried with legal representation, but he did not appear in court last month.

    French authorities said that his whereabouts were unknown before issuing the warrant. 

    Elsom denies knowledge of trial

    Elsom played 75 times for Australia from 2005-11.

    He was named man of the match when he won the 2009 European Cup with Dublin-based Irish club Leinster alongside Ireland greats Johnny Sexton and Brian O'Driscoll.

    He had been living in Ireland since August 2024 and fled the country after an international arrest warrant was issued against him.

    He denied any wrongdoing and said that under his leadership Narbonne was in a healthy position.

    "(Narbonne) achieved solid profits, had good sporting results, and remained in Pro D2 (the second tier of French rugby) until 2016 and beyond," he said in a statement in October last year.

    "It seems that I have been targeted as a scapegoat for the future mismanagement of this famous rugby club."

    Narbonne won the French Championship twice in 1936 and 1979 and finished runner-up three times. The club went into liquidation in 2018 and now competes in the third-tier Fédérale league.

    Elsom had been working as a coach at a school in Dublin around the time of his arrest warrant.

    He said in an interview four months ago on YouTube that he left immediately with only a single backpack when he found out that Ireland was legally obliged to extradite him to France.

    When he gave the interview to Mark Bouris from a hidden location, he said he had not been informed there was a public trial in October.

    "This is a really important part of it. I didn't know a court case was on and there was no possible way for me to know," he said.

    AP/ABC

    © 2025 ABC Australian Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved

     Other Law and Order News
     04 Apr: A sexual predator has been stopped, thanks to his victims coming forward
     04 Apr: Police are bolstering the Wellington District with 15 more investigators after a spate of deaths
     03 Apr: Police believe a homicide and aggravated burglary in Wellington's Miramar last month are connected
     03 Apr: The imprisonment of a sexual predator - has prompted Police to urge caution
     03 Apr: A finding two Auckland police officers unjustly arrested two people in 2022 - and used excessive force
     03 Apr: Val Kilmer’s macho action figures held a melancholy just below the surface
     03 Apr: The family of a man who took his life while under a Hamilton mental health facility's care - is gutted by Health New Zealand's latest findings
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    The Crusaders have received a chilling hand from Hockey New Zealand as they look to overcome the heat and humidity of Suva More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    Fears from one analyst, the world has unlearned the lessons of the Great Depression More...



     Today's News

    Entertainment:
    Samantha Harris is "cancer-free" 8:18

    Politics:
    The Health Minister says problems at Gisborne and Nelson hospitals are being addressed 8:17

    National:
    5 years on from its first COVID lockdown, NZ faces hard economic choices – but rebuilding trust must come first 8:07

    Rugby League:
    Two Raiders staff members may need to consult the team's medical experts after a 24-20 NRL comeback win over the Sharks to open round five 8:07

    International:
    Israeli military investigating killing of 15 Palestinian medics, but denies 'execution' 7:57

    Basketball:
    A new record's been set by NBA title favourites the Oklahoma City Thunder 7:57

    Entertainment:
    Dolly Parton could make a cameo appearance on 'The Kardashians' 7:48

    Politics:
    Room for improved governance - to bring down the number of children living in material hardship 7:47

    Accident and Emergency:
    A degree of closure for those impacted by the fatal boat capsize off Kaikoura in 2022 7:37

    Motoring:
    The Crusaders have received a chilling hand from Hockey New Zealand as they look to overcome the heat and humidity of Suva 7:37


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2025 New Zealand City Ltd