News | Entertainment
18 Feb 2026 16:38
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Entertainment

    Prince Harry and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, say they "require effective security" after stepping back from royal duties

    The couple have agreed to stop using their Sussex Royal brand when they step down as senior members of the royal family on March 31 but they have insisted that they will continue to need a security detail after this time, although it is not clear who will pay for it


    In a statement on their Sussex Royal website, Harry and Meghan said: "It is agreed that The Duke and Duchess of Sussex will continue to require effective security to protect them and their son. This is based on The Duke’s public profile by virtue of being born into The Royal Family, his military service, the Duchess’ own independent profile, and the shared threat and risk level documented specifically over the last few years. No further details can be shared as this is classified information for safety reasons."

    The pair also claim that there is no "jurisdiction" to prevent them using the word royal in their branding, but say that nonetheless they will not use it after Spring 2020.

    They wrote: "As The Duke and Duchess will no longer be considered full-time working Members of The Royal Family, it was agreed that use of the word ‘Royal’ would need to be reviewed as it pertains to organisations associated with them in this new regard.

    "While there is not any jurisdiction by The Monarchy or Cabinet Office over the use of the word ‘Royal’ overseas, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex do not intend to use ‘Sussex Royal’ or any iteration of the word ‘Royal’ in any territory (either within the UK or otherwise) when the transition occurs Spring 2020.

    "The Duke and Duchess of Sussex eagerly await the opportunity to share more with you and greatly appreciate your support!"

    Harry, 35, and Meghan, 38, announced their decision to step down from the royal family in an Instagram post last month.

    It read: "After many months of reflection and internal discussions, we have chosen to make a transition this year in starting to carve out a progressive new role within this institution.

    "We intend to step back as 'senior' members of the Royal Family and work to become financially independent, while continuing to fully support Her Majesty The Queen.

    "It is with your encouragement, particularly over the last few years, that we feel prepared to make this adjustment."

    © 2026 Bang Showbiz, NZCity

     Other Entertainment News
     18 Feb: Maya Hawke and Christian Lee Hutson have officially said "I do"
     18 Feb: Bad Bunny's Super Bowl halftime performance has been cleared of any broadcast violations following a review by the Federal Communications Commission
     18 Feb: Brooklyn Beckham has vowed to "forever protect" his wife Nicola Peltz-Beckham amid his feud with his parents
     18 Feb: Cynthia Erivo has addressed the "strange fascination" surrounding speculation that she and her Wicked co-star Ariana Grande are more than friends
     18 Feb: Amy Schumer created a "crying corner" on Valentine's Day (14.02.26) amid her divorce from Chris Fischer
     18 Feb: Snoop Dogg had an unexpected moment in Livigno, Italy, this week after his payment failed at a local restaurant - and he later repaid the gesture with Olympic tickets
     18 Feb: Sir Ian McKellen admits he "accepted that I'm not immortal" since his 2024 fall
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    Leicester Fainga'anuku's been benched for Sunday's Super Rugby clash between the Crusaders and Brumbies in Christchurch More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    The Reserve Bank's kept the Official Cash Rate unchanged at 2.25 percent More...



     Today's News

    Rugby:
    Leicester Fainga'anuku's been benched for Sunday's Super Rugby clash between the Crusaders and Brumbies in Christchurch 16:27

    International:
    Is it ever a good idea to stay together for the kids? 16:27

    Entertainment:
    Maya Hawke and Christian Lee Hutson have officially said "I do" 16:27

    Entertainment:
    Bad Bunny's Super Bowl halftime performance has been cleared of any broadcast violations following a review by the Federal Communications Commission 15:57

    Basketball:
    Bittersweet injury news for the Breakers ahead of their final regular season Australian basketball league game 15:27

    Entertainment:
    Brooklyn Beckham has vowed to "forever protect" his wife Nicola Peltz-Beckham amid his feud with his parents 15:27

    Business:
    The Reserve Bank's kept the Official Cash Rate unchanged at 2.25 percent 14:57

    Entertainment:
    Cynthia Erivo has addressed the "strange fascination" surrounding speculation that she and her Wicked co-star Ariana Grande are more than friends 14:57

    Rugby League:
    Briton Nikora is the latest Kiwis international to put his hand up for State of Origin duty 14:47

    Entertainment:
    Amy Schumer created a "crying corner" on Valentine's Day (14.02.26) amid her divorce from Chris Fischer 14:27


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2026 New Zealand City Ltd