News | Entertainment
19 Feb 2026 20:45
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Entertainment

    Jeannie Mai says her battle with epiglottitis was a “traumatic experience”

    The TV presenter had to quit 'Dancing with the Stars' earlier this month due to being admitted to hospital for the operation, after she was diagnosed with the potentially life-threatening condition that can cause swelling and block airflow to the lungs


    And now, Jeannie has opened up on the events that led to her surgery, revealing she was “misdiagnosed” by two doctors, whom she visited after she found she was battling strep throat whilst juggling her hectic schedule, including attending ‘DWTS’ rehearsals and shooting ‘The Real’.

    She recalled: "I got some steroid shots and continued on with that same chaotic schedule. [My doctors] misdiagnosed me and kept me on steroids, which allowed me to keep going with my taxing schedule.

    “I left rehearsals early because ... I couldn't breathe. I was wearing my mask, so sometimes [when] I couldn't breathe, I thought it was the mask, but it was really my throat cavity closing.”

    On the night of November 1, Jeannie woke up “gasping for air”, and was rushed to hospital, where she was told a "huge abscess was growing” in her throat, which she needed to have surgery on immediately.

    She added: "My sore throat turned out to be strep throat that quickly turned into a parapharyngeal abscess. I was breathing like Darth Vader. It was a traumatic experience.”

    Following her surgery, Jeannie was told she couldn’t do “any form of respiratory work” including walking fast, laughing, or getting excited, meaning she had to drop out of ‘DWTS’ for good.

    And although the news was devastating, Jeannie knew it was for the best, because she still “couldn’t breathe” even after her operation.

    She said: "The alarming thing is, I still couldn't breathe afterwards. It was even worse because now - because of extreme surgery, where he had removed my tonsils and also completely cut open the abscess in my throat in order to funnel the liquid out - my throat is swollen. I couldn't eat anything for two weeks, so I was tube feeding there in the hospital for a week, and I had a nurse come in every two hours just to make sure I was breathing.

    “Having to be on extreme critical care watch was really scary. That was another scary part, when you realise how fragile you are coming out of surgery even though everything was removed. After I left the hospital, for a week being at home, I still had to be on an IV and I could not move, because anything you do that raises your blood pressure causes your throat to tighten up.”

    Now, Jeannie says she’s “96 percent better”, and is “so thankful” to the medical team that operated on her.

    She told People magazine: "I can speak. I can't yell, but I can speak. I’m so thankful, so I'm definitely coming out into the clear now."

    © 2026 Bang Showbiz, NZCity

     Other Entertainment News
     19 Feb: Jane Seymour felt privileged to work with Robert Duvall
     19 Feb: Logan Paul has sold a Pokemon trading card for $16.5 million
     19 Feb: Sir Sam Mendes has "no outlet" during a film shoot
     19 Feb: Walton Goggins has hailed Robert Duvall as the "greatest storyteller of all time"
     19 Feb: Daniel Radcliffe is "always taking care" of Tracy Morgan
     19 Feb: Viola Davis was "in awe" of Robert Duvall when they worked together
     19 Feb: Joshua Bassett's memoir is the "most vulnerable" he's ever been
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    A Sky Sport Now subscription's about to become more costly More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    Confidence green pastures lie ahead for Fonterra, as the sale of brands like Anchor and Mainland nears completion More...



     Today's News

    Law and Order:
    In her memoir, Gisèle Pelicot reveals the secret love behind France's most infamous rape trial 20:37

    General:
    Winter Olympics 2026 quick guide: What to watch on Day 13 20:07

    International:
    Tracking the US military build-up ahead of possible Iran attack 19:57

    General:
    What is Skimo? The sport preparing to steal the show at the 2026 Milano Cortina Winter Olympic Games 19:17

    Cricket:
    New Zealand cricket captain Mitch Santner has no qualms about changing countries for the next stage of the T20 World Cup 18:57

    Politics:
    The Government's pushing ahead with plans for a mega-ministry 18:37

    Basketball:
    Breakers forward Reuben Te Rangi is imploring his side to close out their Australian NBL regular season with a win 18:27

    Law and Order:
    A man has been fined 14-thousand dollars and sentenced to 180-hours community service for running an unlawful security company 17:27

    Business:
    Confidence green pastures lie ahead for Fonterra, as the sale of brands like Anchor and Mainland nears completion 17:07

    Skiing:
    An avalanche in Northern California was the worst in the US for 40 years. Here's how it unfolded 17:07


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2026 New Zealand City Ltd