News | Entertainment
20 Feb 2026 14:54
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Entertainment

    Prince William has withdrawn from the BAFTA Awards on Sunday (11.04.21)

    The 38-year-old royal was due to deliver a speech at the annual awards show, via a video link, but he has withdrawn from the event following the passing of Prince Philip


    Prince William was set to speak about the resilience of the British film industry amid the coronavirus pandemic.

    The Duke of Edinburgh was actually BAFTA’s first-ever president, between 1959 and 1965, and he continued to support the organisation throughout his life.

    And after Prince Philip's passing was confirmed by Buckingham Palace on Friday (09.04.21), the organisation released a statement to express its sympathies.

    BAFTA said: "We are deeply saddened by the death of His Royal Highness Prince Philip, The Duke of Edinburgh, whose close association with the Academy spanned over 60 years.

    "HRH The Duke of Edinburgh became the organisation's first president in 1959, one year after the British Film Academy and the Guild of Television Producers and Directors merged to create the Society of Film and Television Arts, a forerunner of BAFTA. The Duke represented the Society until 1965 and presented awards at ceremonies during this period."

    The statement later added: "The Duke occupies a special place in the Academy’s history and will be missed enormously.

    "Our thoughts are with the royal family, to whom we offer our deepest sympathy."

    Meanwhile, a source has claimed that Prince Philip wanted to die "in his own bed" and "on his own terms".

    The royal - who passed away at Windsor Castle at the age of 99 - spent almost a month in hospital earlier this year, where he was treated for an infection and a heart condition.

    The insider said: "He spent most of the four weeks he was in hospital trying to get home. They operated on his heart in a bid to give him a little longer, maybe with the 100th birthday in mind. But he didn't really care about that.

    "There is no way he would have wanted to die in hospital."

    © 2026 Bang Showbiz, NZCity

     Other Entertainment News
     20 Feb: Savannah Guthrie's family members have been "cleared as possible suspects" in the disappearance of her mom Nancy
     20 Feb: Jada Pinkett Smith has asked a court to dismiss a $3 million lawsuit filed by her husband Will's former friend
     20 Feb: Gwyneth Paltrow's daughter Apple Martin has denied she was expelled from school for being a bully
     20 Feb: Meaghan Oppenheimer has revealed Tell Me Lies is ending at the "perfect" time
     19 Feb: Jane Seymour felt privileged to work with Robert Duvall
     19 Feb: Logan Paul has sold a Pokemon trading card for $16.5 million
     19 Feb: Sir Sam Mendes has "no outlet" during a film shoot
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    All Blacks flanker Du'Plessis Kirifi has reported he's not far away from a return to the Super Rugby Pacific picture, but is warning his teammates not to take Moana Pasifika lightly tonight More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    2026 could be the year for Auckland businesses, with confidence rising More...



     Today's News

    Entertainment:
    Savannah Guthrie's family members have been "cleared as possible suspects" in the disappearance of her mom Nancy 14:47

    Law and Order:
    What we know about ex-prince Andrew's arrest on suspicion of misconduct in public office 14:37

    Education:
    Indra Brown's Winter Olympics medal contention doesn't remove the reality of school homework 14:27

    International:
    Donald Trump hosts first 'Board of Peace' meeting with new pledges for Gaza 14:17

    National:
    SpaceX rocket left behind a plume of chemical pollution as it burnt up in the atmosphere 14:17

    Entertainment:
    Jada Pinkett Smith has asked a court to dismiss a $3 million lawsuit filed by her husband Will's former friend 14:17

    Rugby:
    All Blacks flanker Du'Plessis Kirifi has reported he's not far away from a return to the Super Rugby Pacific picture, but is warning his teammates not to take Moana Pasifika lightly tonight 14:07

    National:
    Friday essay: ‘red flags’ and ‘performative reading’ – what do our reading choices say about us? 14:07

    Golf:
    Ryan Fox has slipped to a share of third, late in his opening round at the PGA Tour's Genesis Invitational in Los Angeles 14:07

    Entertainment:
    Gwyneth Paltrow's daughter Apple Martin has denied she was expelled from school for being a bully 13:47


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2026 New Zealand City Ltd