News | Entertainment
16 Feb 2026 21:41
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Entertainment

    UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson won't attend Prince Philip's funeral

    The Duke of Edinburgh's funeral will take place next Saturday (17.04.21) at St George's Chapel in Windsor, but a Downing Street spokesperson has confirmed that the Prime Minister won't be among the attendees


    The spokesperson explained: "The Prime Minister has throughout wanted to act in accordance with what is best for the royal household, and so to allow for as many family members as possible will not be attending the funeral on Saturday."

    The Prime Minister would typically attend the funeral of a senior royal, but plans have been amended because of the coronavirus pandemic.

    The 56-year-old politician - who spent time in hospital last year after being diagnosed with the virus - is keen to allow someone who knew the Duke of Edinburgh better to attend.

    Despite this, the Prime Minister paid a glowing tribute to Prince Philip after his death was announced.

    In particular, he praised Prince Philip's work as an environmentalist and hailed him for creating The Duke of Edinburgh's Award, a scheme for young people that now exists in more than 140 countries worldwide.

    Speaking on Friday (09.04.21), he said: "He was an environmentalist, and a champion of the natural world long before it was fashionable.

    "With his Duke of Edinburgh's Awards Scheme he shaped and inspired the lives of countless young people and at literally tens of thousands of events he fostered their hopes and encouraged their ambitions.

    "We remember the duke for all of this and above all for his steadfast support for Her Majesty the Queen.

    "Not just as her consort, by her side every day of her reign, but as her husband, her 'strength and stay', of more than 70 years."

    The Prime Minister also said that the royal family "have lost not just a much-loved and highly respected public figure but a devoted husband and a proud and loving father, grandfather and in recent years, great grandfather".

    © 2026 Bang Showbiz, NZCity

     Other Entertainment News
     16 Feb: Michelle Obama got 10 new ear piercings in one sitting
     16 Feb: Margot Robbie has credited Rachel McAdams with helping her land all her major roles
     16 Feb: Daisy Lowe is pregnant with her second child
     16 Feb: Ashley Roberts wrongly announced Dick Van Dyke had died instead of James Van Der Beek
     16 Feb: Jesy Nelson's petition with Parliament, to demand all newborn babies born in the UK are tested for Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA), will receive a response from the UK government after it was signed more than 66,000 times
     16 Feb: The FBI has revealed "new identifying details" about a suspect in Nancy Guthrie's disappearance
     16 Feb: The Backstreet Boys would love to perform the Super Bowl Halftime Show in 2027
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    A Super Rugby referee clanger in round one More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    Severe weather has impacted the housing market More...



     Today's News

    Entertainment:
    Michelle Obama got 10 new ear piercings in one sitting 21:27

    Environment:
    Weather warnings are set to fade away tonight 21:17

    Entertainment:
    Margot Robbie has credited Rachel McAdams with helping her land all her major roles 20:57

    Entertainment:
    Daisy Lowe is pregnant with her second child 20:27

    General:
    How cheating allegations have rocked the curling teams at the Olympics 20:17

    Entertainment:
    Ashley Roberts wrongly announced Dick Van Dyke had died instead of James Van Der Beek 19:57

    Entertainment:
    Jesy Nelson's petition with Parliament, to demand all newborn babies born in the UK are tested for Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA), will receive a response from the UK government after it was signed more than 66,000 times 19:27

    Business:
    Severe weather has impacted the housing market 18:57

    Entertainment:
    The FBI has revealed "new identifying details" about a suspect in Nancy Guthrie's disappearance 18:57

    Environment:
    Almost 5-thousand households across the Wellington region remain without power 18:37


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2026 New Zealand City Ltd