News | Entertainment
16 Feb 2026 15:29
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Entertainment

    Sean 'Diddy' Combs has filed an emergency motion to challenge an order to pay $100 million to man he insisted he has never met

    The 54-year-old rapper failed to attend a virtual hearing on Monday (09.09.24) in connection to Derrick Lee Cardello-Smith's sexual assault lawsuit against him and so Judge Anna Marie Anzalone awarded the default judgment in Lenawee County Circuit Court, but the 'I'll Be Missing You' hitmaker's legal team have now challenged the ruling.


    According to court documents obtained by People magazine, Diddy's attorneys argued his accuser - a "convicted felon who is serving time in prison for kidnapping and sexual assault" - has frequently filed "frivolous" claims in the past and his allegation of being sexually assaulted in 1997 is "objectively unbelievable".

    And they insisted many of Derrick's claims, such as that he invested $150,000 for 49% of Diddy's net worth, are fabricated, implausible, and full of "inconsistencies and fantastical claims".

    Marc Agnifilo, an attorney for the Bad Boy Records founder, said in a statement: "This man is a convicted felon and sexual predator, who has been sentenced on 14 counts of sexual assault and kidnapping over the last 26 years.

    "His resume now includes committing a fraud on the court from prison, as Mr. Combs has never heard of him let alone been served with any lawsuit. Mr. Combs looks forward to having this judgment swiftly dismissed."

    In addition, the lawyers argued Diddy wasn't properly served in the lawsuit, so the judgement is invalid.

    They claimed their famous client was unaware of the suit until the news about the default judgement was reported in the media, and insisted any delay in his response was unintentional as he quickly filed the motion to vacate once he was made aware.

    The motion branded the $100 million award "extraordinary and incompatible with any possible measure of actual damages even if every (facially implausible) allegation in the Complaint were true" as Combs "did not receive notice of the lawsuit" until Monday.

    And they noted even if the claims were true, the statute of limitations ended in 2007 so they should have been dismissed.

    Furthermore, Diddy filed a motion to dissolve a temporary restraining order and/or preliminary injunction, which had been granted in August.

    In his lawsuit, the accuser alleged he had met the 'Finna Get Loose' hitmaker - who is facing a string of sexual assault and trafficking cases - in 1997 during an afterparty at a Detroit Holiday Inn. He claimed they got a private room with two women and Diddy groped his buttocks while Derrick was having sex with one of their female companions. He also accused the rapper of drugging and sexually assaulting him.

    © 2026 Bang Showbiz, NZCity

     Other Entertainment News
     16 Feb: DNA recovered from glove found near Guthrie home that appears to match suspect's glove, FBI says
     15 Feb: Heather McComb will remember James Van Der Beek as being "innocent, kind and pure of heart"
     15 Feb: Margaret Qualley felt "overwhelmed" when she began her acting career
     15 Feb: Bunnie Xo has been wowed by Jelly Roll's 300-lb. weight loss
     15 Feb: Jesy Nelson no longer has "time" to make music
     15 Feb: Lena Dunham replaced her friends with a "posse" of cats after moving to London
     15 Feb: Camila Cabello has revealed "it's taken a year" for her hair to recover after she dyed it blonde
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    Let's go to Livigno... and qualifying for the freeski big air More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    More evidence of an improving economy - from the amount of freight hitting our roads More...



     Today's News

    Environment:
    Raw sewage is once again being pumped into the sea close to Wellington's southern shoreline, as heavy rain lashes the capital 14:57

    Business:
    More evidence of an improving economy - from the amount of freight hitting our roads 14:07

    Politics:
    Who has most access to the top? What 5 years of transport ministers’ diaries reveal 14:07

    Business:
    Potential for cost-cutting in the 1.8 billion dollar Interislander replacement plan 13:47

    Business:
    The housing market may be yet to turn a corner 13:27

    Business:
    Strong signs of economic turnaround from the latest half-year results 13:07

    Business:
    Retailers remain cautious despite a bump in card spending over the New Year period 12:47

    Law and Order:
    DNA recovered from glove found near Guthrie home that appears to match suspect's glove, FBI says 12:47

    General:
    Winter Olympics 2026: Matt Graham on dual moguls 'dad podium' as weather forces reschedule — quick hits from day nine 12:07

    Rugby League:
    Former New South Wales second rower Ryan Hoffman's welcoming a change to rugby league's representative selection criteria 11:57


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2026 New Zealand City Ltd