News | Entertainment
17 Feb 2026 22:08
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Entertainment

    A long-awaited nine-hour documentary on Prince has been shelved by Netflix

    Directed by Oscar-winning filmmaker Ezra Edelman, the project has reportedly been canned following tensions with the late 'Purple Rain' singer's estate - with it and the streamer confirming in a joint statement on Friday (07.02.25) that they would be moving in a different direction


    It said: "The Prince Estate and Netflix have come to a mutual agreement that will allow the estate to develop and produce a new documentary featuring exclusive content from Prince's archive. As a result, the Netflix documentary will not be released."

    Filmmaker Ezra, 50, had been working on the project since 2019 after being approached by Netflix. According to The New York Times, the deal granted him and Netflix final cut, while the estate retained rights to review the film for factual accuracy.

    The estate was shown a cut of the documentary in 2023 and responded with a 17-page list of requested changes, according to attorney L Londell McMillan, one of the estate's administrators.

    While Ezra agreed to some, he declined others.

    New York Times culture reporter Sasha Weiss, who attended a private screening of the film, described the documentary as a "cursed masterpiece" and reported it provided an in-depth exploration of Prince's music, career, and personal life - including aspects he had kept private before his death in 2016 at the age of 57.

    The documentary included interviews with more than 70 people, as well as never-before-seen footage from Prince's vault.

    Among the topics reportedly covered were the loss of Prince's infant son with his ex-wife Mayte Garcia, his difficult childhood, and allegations of physical abuse from former partners.

    According to The New York Times, one scene featured singer Jill Jones recounting an incident in 1984 in which she claimed the musician had punched her repeatedly.

    A report from Variety in July suggested the project was already "dead in the water" following the screening, with estate representatives claiming it was factually inaccurate and "sensationalised".

    © 2026 Bang Showbiz, NZCity

     Other Entertainment News
     17 Feb: Leslie Grossman and Sascha Penn are married
     17 Feb: Keke Palmer is "more intentional" with her work and time since becoming a mom
     17 Feb: Harry Styles learnt "how to slow down" on his career break
     17 Feb: Jelly Roll and Bunnie Xo's sex life is better now that he is not "so big"
     17 Feb: Tyler Perry broke his collarbone in a "terrible" bike fall
     17 Feb: James Van Der Beek's brother "didn't know it would hurt so badly" when he died
     17 Feb: Jennifer Aniston's 57th birthday was "even more meaningful" because she spent it with boyfriend Jim Curtis
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    Irish rugby to investigate racial abuse towards Test debutant Edwin Edogbo More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    New Zealand lamb is still a premium product in the UK, 144 years since the first shipment of 5000 carcasses sailed out of Port Chalmers in 1882 More...



     Today's News

    Entertainment:
    Leslie Grossman and Sascha Penn are married 21:57

    Politics:
    Labour's Jan Tinetti says today's employment law change is a backwards step 21:57

    Entertainment:
    Keke Palmer is "more intentional" with her work and time since becoming a mom 21:27

    Living & Travel:
    Second-placed Auckland FC look to close the gap on leaders Newcastle tonight in the A-League 21:17

    International:
    The Missing number in the hundreds of thousands in Syria where new mass graves of torture victims are being found weekly 21:07

    Entertainment:
    Harry Styles learnt "how to slow down" on his career break 20:57

    Entertainment:
    Jelly Roll and Bunnie Xo's sex life is better now that he is not "so big" 20:27

    Entertainment:
    Tyler Perry broke his collarbone in a "terrible" bike fall 19:57

    Entertainment:
    James Van Der Beek's brother "didn't know it would hurt so badly" when he died 19:27

    Politics:
    The Greens say the Government's attacking workers with a major change to workplace law 18:57


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2026 New Zealand City Ltd