News | Entertainment
19 Feb 2026 23:07
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Entertainment

    Ed Sheeran and two co-writers have been awarded £916,200 ($1.1 million) in legal costs after winning their copyright case

    The 'Shape of You' hitmaker and collaborators Steven McCutcheon and John McDaid - who were accused of copying 'Oh Why' by grime artist Sami Chokri and Ross McDonoghue - have been awarded an interim payment 11 weeks by a judge after winning their High Court legal battle


    In his ruling, Mr. Justice Zacaroli said: "I consider it is appropriate that the claimants' success is reflected in an order that their costs are paid by the defendants, without reduction save for that which is made as part of the process of detailed assessment."

    Meanwhile, the judge rejected Chokri and O'Donoghue's claims that Sheeran and his partners should pay their own legal costs as they failed to provide documents, and added that they showed "awkwardness and opacity".

    There is expected to be a further hearing to assess the sums and finalise the total.

    Earlier this year, the judge acknowledged there were "similarities between the one-bar phrase" in 'Shape of You' and 'Oh Why' but said "such similarities are only a starting point for a possible infringement" of copyright.

    After studying the musical elements, he found there were " differences between the relevant parts" of the songs, which "provide compelling evidence that the 'Oh I' phrase" in Ed's song "originated from sources other than Oh Why", and so dec lared the 'Castle on the Hill' hitmaker had "neither deliberately nor subconsciously copied" the track.

    The judge noted there was only a "speculative foundation" for the defence's argument Ed had heard the 2015 song before writing his.

    He added: "I find, as a matter of fact, that he had not heard it."

    After the verdict was delivered, Ed, Johnny and Steven - who is known as Steve Mac - said they were "grateful" for the ruling but admitted having to prove themselves and their integrity had been "painful".

    © 2026 Bang Showbiz, NZCity

     Other Entertainment News
     19 Feb: Jane Seymour felt privileged to work with Robert Duvall
     19 Feb: Logan Paul has sold a Pokemon trading card for $16.5 million
     19 Feb: Sir Sam Mendes has "no outlet" during a film shoot
     19 Feb: Walton Goggins has hailed Robert Duvall as the "greatest storyteller of all time"
     19 Feb: Daniel Radcliffe is "always taking care" of Tracy Morgan
     19 Feb: Viola Davis was "in awe" of Robert Duvall when they worked together
     19 Feb: Joshua Bassett's memoir is the "most vulnerable" he's ever been
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    A Sky Sport Now subscription's about to become more costly More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    Confidence green pastures lie ahead for Fonterra, as the sale of brands like Anchor and Mainland nears completion More...



     Today's News

    Soccer:
    Auckland FC gaffer Steve Corica is pivoting to a game plan without Sam Cosgrove for Saturday's derby against the Phoenix in Wellington 21:57

    Accident and Emergency:
    St John is assessing 19 patients after a chemical incident in Horowhenua's Levin this evening 21:17

    Law and Order:
    South Korea's ex-president Yoon Suk Yeol sentenced to life in prison over insurrection 21:07

    Law and Order:
    In her memoir, Gisèle Pelicot reveals the secret love behind France's most infamous rape trial 20:37

    General:
    Winter Olympics 2026 quick guide: What to watch on Day 13 20:07

    International:
    Tracking the US military build-up ahead of possible Iran attack 19:57

    General:
    What is Skimo? The sport preparing to steal the show at the 2026 Milano Cortina Winter Olympic Games 19:17

    Cricket:
    New Zealand cricket captain Mitch Santner has no qualms about changing countries for the next stage of the T20 World Cup 18:57

    Politics:
    The Government's pushing ahead with plans for a mega-ministry 18:37

    Basketball:
    Breakers forward Reuben Te Rangi is imploring his side to close out their Australian NBL regular season with a win 18:27


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2026 New Zealand City Ltd