News | Entertainment
18 Feb 2026 9:33
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Entertainment

    Barbara Broccoli has quipped that Prince William is the "perfect candidate" to become the next James Bond

    The 007 producers Barbara and her sibling Michael Wilson were honoured with CBEs from the future king at Buckingham Palace this week


    And when asked who she'd like to see replace Daniel Craig, 54, in the iconic spy role, she said The Duke of Cambridge, 40, "ticks all the boxes".

    According to The Mirror, she said: "Unfortunately, the person we just met isn't available. He's occupied, unfortunately, but he would be the perfect candidate.

    "[He] ticks all the boxes. But he's not available, sadly.

    "So we're still on the hunt."

    It was recently claimed that Idris Elba is back in the running to play Bond.

    The 'Luther' actor was believed to have stepped back from replacing Daniel as the suave spy and had instead spoken to producers about potentially appearing as the villain in the next movie, but he's once again under consideration for the role of 007 after scoring favourably in market research.

    A source told The Sun newspaper's Bizarre column: "Idris has long been in talks to play a role in the next era of James Bond's story and last year was being considered for a role as an antagonist.

    "However, talks surrounding him playing the lead have started again as producers realised how popular he would be after carrying out secret market research.

    "He ranked highly among the diverse group of movie buffs invited to participate in it.

    "They didn't want to see him as a nemesis - they want him as the hero."

    Barbara confirmed earlier this year that Idris had been in the frame for the iconic role.

    She said: "We know Idris, I'm friends with him. He's a magnificent actor.

    You know, he has been part of the conversation, but it's always difficult to have a conversation when you have somebody in the seat."

    And in 2019, the 49-year-old actor admitted he'd love to be Bond.

    He said: "James Bond is a hugely coveted, iconic, beloved character that takes audiences on this massive escapism journey.

    "Of course, if someone said to me, 'Do you want to play James Bond?', I'd be like, 'Yeah!'?"

    Former 'Bridgerton' actor Rege-Jean Page, Henry Cavill, Aidan Turner and Tom Hardy are all bookies' favourites.

    © 2026 Bang Showbiz, NZCity

     Other Entertainment News
     18 Feb: James Van Der Beek's friends helped him secure a down payment for his home before his death
     18 Feb: Prince William was left in "a state of disbelief" after Catherine, Princess of Wales was diagnosed with cancer
     18 Feb: Harry Styles "felt very alone" the first few times he performed on stage without One Direction
     18 Feb: Will Ferrell is desperately wanted for a guest star role on The Simpsons
     18 Feb: Will Smith gifted Jada Pinkett Smith life-size pillows of their blended family for Valentine's Day
     18 Feb: Sharon Osbourne has marked her first Valentine's Day without Ozzy Osbourne
     17 Feb: Leslie Grossman and Sascha Penn are married
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    England coach Steve Borthwick's responded to their Six Nations rugby defeat to Scotland by making three changes to his run-on side for Sunday's match with Ireland at Dublin More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    A sharp rise in food inflation could unfortunately be out of our control More...



     Today's News

    Entertainment:
    James Van Der Beek's friends helped him secure a down payment for his home before his death 8:57

    Entertainment:
    Prince William was left in "a state of disbelief" after Catherine, Princess of Wales was diagnosed with cancer 8:27

    National:
    Intermittent fasting doesn’t have an edge for weight loss, but might still work for some 8:27

    National:
    What northern NZ’s wet and sticky summer reveals about our warming atmosphere 8:17

    Politics:
    A new iron treatment is on the way for people who've experienced serious reactions to treatment in the past 8:17

    Environment:
    The Christchurch Mayor hopes Banks Peninsula's State Highway 75 will reopen this morning 8:07

    National:
    How Jesse Jackson was shaped by Southern segregation - and went on to reshape American political life 8:07

    Entertainment:
    Harry Styles "felt very alone" the first few times he performed on stage without One Direction 7:57

    Politics:
    Parliament's intervening - after the High Court ruled against the Ministry of Social Development requesting welfare repayments from those receiving back-dated ACC support 7:57

    International:
    Former NASA engineer warns about heat shield on Artemis II moon mission 7:57


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2026 New Zealand City Ltd