News | Environment
29 Nov 2025 14:06
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Environment

    Firefighters are urging the public to stay away, as they continue to try bring the massive wildfire in Canterbury under control

    Firefighters are urging the public to stay away, as they continue to try bring the massive wildfire in Canterbury under control


    The 980 hectare blaze has been burning through the foothills below the Southern Alps since Thursday.

    Incident Commander Colin Russell says they're continuing to remove fuel and refresh retardant lines to protect structures.

    Russell says they also had to remove members of the public yesterday, after reports of people near the exclusion zone by Cave Stream.

    State Highway 73 remains open under traffic restrictions.

    © 2025 Newstalk ZB, NZCity

     Other Environment News
     29 Nov: Severe weather warnings for the southern, and central regions of the country tomorrow
     29 Nov: Eight arrested and 128 people dead as alarm faults confirmed in Hong Kong fire
     29 Nov: 'Rare' cyclone in Indonesia among wild weather in South-East Asia that has killed hundreds
     28 Nov: Hong Kong's aging towers face urgent questions after city's deadliest blaze in decades
     28 Nov: Hong Kong residents devastated by mega blaze engulfing blocks of flats in Tai Po district
     28 Nov: Practising in the event of another large earthquake in Manawatu-Whanganui
     28 Nov: Another warm start after yesterday's record breaking temperatures, but relief is on its way
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    Ryan Papenhuyzen and Zac Lomax are free to return to rugby league's NRL after rebel rugby union competition R360 pushed back their planned launch by two years - until 2028 More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    Changes to regional councils could create debate about what to do with the assets they own More...



     Today's News

    Environment:
    Severe weather warnings for the southern, and central regions of the country tomorrow 13:46

    Entertainment:
    Clive Owen thinks actors should not chase top roles to get their big break 13:38

    Christchurch:
    A person's died, after being pulled unresponsive from the water in Canterbury's Glenbrook 13:26

    Entertainment:
    Eva Longoria says becoming a mom at 43 was "perfect timing" 13:08

    Business:
    Changes to regional councils could create debate about what to do with the assets they own 13:07

    Living & Travel:
    Some Jetstar flights grounded due to global recall of Airbus A320 planes 13:07

    Rugby:
    Ryan Papenhuyzen and Zac Lomax are free to return to rugby league's NRL after rebel rugby union competition R360 pushed back their planned launch by two years - until 2028 13:07

    Basketball:
    A glass half full mindset for the Tall Blacks basketballers after letting a chance slip for a rare victory over their Australian counterparts 13:07

    Politics:
    Imran Khan's son and political allies concerned about his health amid block on prison visits 13:07

    Entertainment:
    Donald Glover has revealed he suffered a stroke last year 12:38


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2025 New Zealand City Ltd