News | Entertainment
20 Feb 2026 12:41
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Entertainment

    Quibi will officially shut down on December 1

    The streaming service only began operating six months ago in April this year, but announced this week it will be shutting down for good after failing to take off


    And now, a new statement from the company has confirmed the service will “end streaming on or about December 1, 2020”.

    The statement read: “Quibi has made the difficult decision to wind down. We anticipate that the service will end streaming on or about December 1, 2020. We appreciate the support we have received from our customers and want to thank you for giving us an opportunity to entertain you.

    “At this time we do not know if the Quibi content will be available anywhere after our last day of service. We recommend following #Quibi on Twitter for any news regarding content.”

    Quibi launched earlier this year will the premise of delivering original short-form programming via smartphones.

    The service had been successful in attracting celebrities to create shows for the platform - including Anna Kendrick’s ‘Dummy’, Chrissy Teigen’s ‘Chrissy’s Court’, and ‘Survive’, which starred Sophie Turner - but failed to get the viewer base needed to keep the service running.

    Speaking about the decision to shut down Quibi, co-founder Jeffrey Katzenberg said this week: “There was no question that keeping us going was not going to have a different outcome, it was just going to spend a whole lot more money without any value to show for it. So, out of respect for these people that put up this extraordinary amount of capital to do it, that’s irresponsible and we both felt we shouldn’t do it.”

    Whilst fellow co-founder Meg Whitman added: “We tried a lot of different things over the summer, whether it was payment-less free trial, 90-day free trial, 14-day free trial. We changed marketing around entirely to be more title marketing than platform marketing, which we made a lot of changes and we also you know, tried a completely different business model in Australia. And ultimately none of it really changed the fundamental answer, that we needed more capital and we needed more capital relatively soon.

    “Ultimately probably a couple weeks ago we said, you know, the right thing to do, the hard right but the right thing to do is to return cash to shareholders.”

    © 2026 Bang Showbiz, NZCity

     Other Entertainment News
     19 Feb: Jane Seymour felt privileged to work with Robert Duvall
     19 Feb: Logan Paul has sold a Pokemon trading card for $16.5 million
     19 Feb: Sir Sam Mendes has "no outlet" during a film shoot
     19 Feb: Walton Goggins has hailed Robert Duvall as the "greatest storyteller of all time"
     19 Feb: Daniel Radcliffe is "always taking care" of Tracy Morgan
     19 Feb: Viola Davis was "in awe" of Robert Duvall when they worked together
     19 Feb: Joshua Bassett's memoir is the "most vulnerable" he's ever been
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    A Sky Sport Now subscription's about to become more costly More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    Fonterra is raising its forecast payout to farmers, following the latest rise in global dairy prices More...



     Today's News

    Rugby League:
    A blow for the Roosters for their NRL league season-opener away against the Warriors on March 6 12:27

    Athletics:
    Pole vaulter Imogen Ayris' continues to leap the highest in her career, this time at an indoor athletics meet in France 11:57

    Law and Order:
    What we know about ex-prince Andrew's arrest on suspicion of misconduct in public office 11:57

    Rugby League:
    Super League champions Hull Kingston Rovers have held off the NRL-winning Brisbane Broncos 30-24 in league's World Club Challenge 11:57

    Golf:
    Golfer Ryan Fox is two-under par through seven holes in the opening round at the latest PGA Tour event 11:47

    Politics:
    Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor released under investigation after almost 10 hours in custody 11:27

    National:
    Why has Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor been arrested, and what legal protections do the royal family have? 11:17

    Skiing:
    Ally Hickman showed her grit at 2026 Winter Olympics after heavy fall on second run 11:07

    Business:
    Fonterra is raising its forecast payout to farmers, following the latest rise in global dairy prices 10:47

    Business:
    Fonterra's announced an extra dividend for farmers - as it pushes ahead with the sale of its consumer arm 10:27


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2026 New Zealand City Ltd