News | Entertainment
30 Nov 2025 18:08
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Entertainment

    Bring Me the Horizon's Oli Sykes thanked the BRITs organisers for making the voting system "so complicated" as the rock band picked up their first-ever award

    The lead singer of the 'Shadow Moses' hitmakers took to the stage at the BRIT Awards with Mastercard on Saturday (02.03.24) as they were given the Alternative Rock Act Award and joked that only their fans could be bothered to vote after organisers of Britain's biggest night in music decided to start up a diversity drive by increasing nominations from five to 10


    After collecting the award, Oli said: "Right, I don't know what to say because I didn't think we'd be winning this. Cheers to the BRITs for making a voting system so complicated only our fans could be a**** to vote, I guess. Thanks to our fans, it's bloody insane this. I'm not gonna say owt else, cheers, thanks, very good."

    The rock band - which also consists of drummer Matt Nicholls, guitarist Lee Malia, and bassist Matt Kean - had beat off competition from Blur, The Rolling Stones, Young Fathers

    and Yussef Dayes for the coveted accolade.

    The change came about following a backlash after they introduced genderless categories for the 2023 event as part of a diversity drive.

    Last year, the Artist of the Year gong was won by former One Direction singer Harry Styles and no female artists were in the running for the trophy.

    A source told The Sun about how bosses are now expanding the category - again in the hope it will add more diversity to the nominees list: "The Brits' decision to create genderless categories was huge and they've now tweaked it again to try to make it more inclusive.

    "The move to go genderless was meant to be progressive, and by making this change they are hoping that it reflects this."

    © 2025 Bang Showbiz, NZCity

     Other Entertainment News
     30 Nov: Matt Smith went to eight Oasis shows over the summer
     30 Nov: Lindsay Arnold is expecting her third child
     30 Nov: Tara Reid has claimed she was drugged at a bar before being rushed to hospital
     30 Nov: Kim Kardashian's legal drama All's Fair has been renewed for a second season
     30 Nov: Ray Romano has confirmed the Everybody Loves Raymond: 30th Anniversary Reunion will not lead to a revival
     30 Nov: Nicole Kidman is staying strong amid her split from Keith Urban
     30 Nov: Cher is reportedly in "advanced" talks to secure a massive "£13 million" deal with Netflix for a tell-all series
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    Springbok lock Eben Etzebeth is facing a lengthy spell on the sidelines after being red carded for eye gouging in the record 73-nil win over Wales in Cardiff More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    Our sheep meat exports hit record value in October More...



     Today's News

    Entertainment:
    Matt Smith went to eight Oasis shows over the summer 17:38

    International:
    Em Rusciano on finding balance in life after her ADHD and autism diagnoses 17:37

    Politics:
    Strengthening community-led GP practices is at the centre of Labour's new low-interest loan policy 17:27

    Cricket:
    Black Foils skipper Peter Burling is intrigued to see how the final day of SailGP racing will pan out in Abu Dhabi 17:27

    Golf:
    Golfer Ryan Fox is adjusting to playing in scorching conditions again after completing his first tournament since taking a two-month break 17:27

    Entertainment:
    Lindsay Arnold is expecting her third child 17:08

    Politics:
    Doubts the health system would be able to cope with Labour's election promises 16:57

    Golf:
    Golfer Ryan Fox has admitted there's work to do following his first event since a two-month layoff 16:47

    Entertainment:
    Tara Reid has claimed she was drugged at a bar before being rushed to hospital 16:38

    Health & Safety:
    Health New Zealand has confirmed one new cases of measles - taking the total to 22 nationwide 16:17


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2025 New Zealand City Ltd