News | Entertainment
21 Feb 2026 6:07
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Entertainment

    Prince Harry could reportedly face a bill of more than £1 million over his security funding court fight

    The Duke of Sussex, 39, has been fighting the 2020 decision to downgrade his taxpayer funded, round-the-clock protection when he quit senior royal duties with his wife Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, 42, to move to America


    But it emerged on Monday (15.04.24) the dad-of-two - who has children Archie, four, and two-year-old Lilibet with Meghan - he had lost his initial bid to appeal against the move.

    He is still able to ask the Court of Appeal directly for the green light to challenge Sir Peter's decision - but has been told to pay the majority of the UK Home Office's legal costs of defending his challenge over the decision to change the level of his security when he visits the UK.

    A Freedom of Information request has revealed that by October 2023, the government's legal costs to defend itself against Harry in the case had reached the £400,000-plus mark.

    By that point, the case had already cost the government legal department £265,437 and counsel £137,864.

    The Daily Star has reported it means Harry now faces having to pay back the taxpayer at least £500,000 after losing his challenge.

    It said his own legal costs are likely to be similar, if not more, than that sum, meaning he could end up with a bill of more than £1 million so far in his court fight.

    Harry launched legal action against the Home Office over the February 2020 decision of the ex ecutive Committee for the Protection of Royalty and Public Figures (Ravec) that he should receive a different degree of taxpayer-funded protection when in the country.

    Ravec's decision came as a result of a change in his status after he stopped being a "full-time working member of the royal family", a judge was told.

    In a judgment in February, retired High Court justice Sir Peter Lane rejected Harry's case and concluded Ravec's approach was not irrational or procedurally unfair.

    Following the ruling, a spokesperson for the duke said he was going to challenge the judgment, adding the bloke "hopes he will obtain justice from the Court of Appeal".

    Harry argued he was "singled out" and treated "less favourably" than others by Ravec.

    He has previously asked to fund his own Metropolitan Police armed bodyguards but officials refused.

    Harry has also said he was unable to return to the UK with his family as it was "too dangerous" after his security was downgraded.

    He is allowed protection when he stays at royal residences or attends official events run by the Royal Family, but has to fund his security if visiting Britain for other reasons.

    © 2026 Bang Showbiz, NZCity

     Other Entertainment News
     20 Feb: President Donald Trump has remembered the late Jesse Jackson as "a good man, with lots of personality, grit, and street smarts" - and claimed he "could not stand" Barack Obama
     20 Feb: Nicole Kidman is reportedly being "romantically pursued" by MGM Resorts boss Paul Salem following her split from Keith Urban
     20 Feb: Margot Robbie worried she was "dumb" after deciding against going to university
     20 Feb: Rose Byrne has joked she "drinks a lot of alcohol" to decompress after work
     20 Feb: Baz Luhrmann is bringing Elvis Presley's story to theatres in a new stage show
     20 Feb: Tyra Banks refused to speak to Jay Manuel when he returned to America's Next Top Model
     20 Feb: Taylor Swift has thrown her support behind Team USA's figure skaters as they prepare to take to the ice at the Winter Olympics
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    High hopes for one of the Hurricanes' newest recruits More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    Hopes are lifting among Auckland businesses for the economic recovery More...



     Today's News

    Cricket:
    The Central Stags have posted a massive 211-run win over the Wellington Firebirds, to book their place against Canterbury in Sunday's one-day men's cricket final 21:57

    Entertainment:
    President Donald Trump has remembered the late Jesse Jackson as "a good man, with lots of personality, grit, and street smarts" - and claimed he "could not stand" Barack Obama 21:47

    Entertainment:
    Nicole Kidman is reportedly being "romantically pursued" by MGM Resorts boss Paul Salem following her split from Keith Urban 21:17

    International:
    Donald Trump suggests decision on Iran likely within 10 to 15 days 21:17

    Golf:
    Ryan Fox is right in the mix after a fine four-under-par opening round of 67, at the latest PGA Tour event in Los Angeles 21:17

    National:
    Andrew’s arrest: will anything like this now happen in the US? Why hasn’t it so far? 21:07

    General:
    Kyra Wheatley ready to ride the chaos and speed of ski cross at Milano Cortina 2026 Winter Olympics 21:07

    Entertainment:
    Margot Robbie worried she was "dumb" after deciding against going to university 20:47

    Entertainment:
    Rose Byrne has joked she "drinks a lot of alcohol" to decompress after work 20:17

    Entertainment:
    Baz Luhrmann is bringing Elvis Presley's story to theatres in a new stage show 19:47


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2026 New Zealand City Ltd