News | Entertainment
17 Feb 2026 13:31
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Entertainment

    Dolly Parton will donate $1 million towards recovery efforts following Hurricane Helene

    The country music legend confirmed during an event in her home state of Tennessee on Friday (04.10.24) that the cash would come "from my own bank account"


    Dolly also confirmed that her local commercial ventures, such as the Dollywood amusement park, would be donating the same amount to the Mountain Ways Foundation that is helping victims of flooding in the area.

    More than 200 people (including 11 in Tennessee) have been killed as a result of Helene after the storm ripped through the south-east of the United States late last month - with the government warning that the clean-up could take years.

    Dolly, 78, said: "This is my home.

    "God has been good to me and so has the public, and I feel that if there's anything I can do to give back in any way I can I'm always willing to do that. I want to feel like I'm doing my part."

    The '9 to 5' singer continued: "I was heartbroken like everybody else, and just amazed and devastated by it.

    "All these people feel like my people."

    Dolly broke into song with the words "Helene, Helene" to the tune of her famous hit 'Jolene' during her remarks as she also issued a message of support to those who have had their lives devastated by the storm.

    She said: "I know it's easy for us to say, 'oh, things are going to get better' when things are still really bad.

    "All we can say is that we are with you, that we love you, we hope that things get better real soon - and we're going to do our part to try and make that possible."

    © 2026 Bang Showbiz, NZCity

     Other Entertainment News
     17 Feb: Travis Kelce feels emotional about the prospect of the Kansas City Chiefs moving from their current stadium
     17 Feb: Jane Fonda lies in bed imagining what she would say to President Donald Trump
     17 Feb: Kaley Cuoco's fiancé Tom Pelphrey has never watched her hit sitcom The Big Bang Theory
     17 Feb: Jo Wood has decided to stay single for now after failing to find a suitable man on dating apps
     17 Feb: Lucy Hale has sparked engagement rumours after she was spotted wearing a ring on her left hand during a recent coffee date with Phillip Lopez in Los Angeles
     17 Feb: Margot Robbie would've "risked it all" for Lord of Rings character Aragon during her teenage years
     17 Feb: Iran's state TV airs 'forced confessions' of 'scapegoats' whose families fear could face execution
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    Irish rugby to investigate racial abuse towards Test debutant Edwin Edogbo More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    This week marks the anniversary of New Zealand's first frozen lamb shipment to the UK, 144 years ago More...



     Today's News

    Living & Travel:
    Beyond the beaches, Wellington’s catastrophic sewage spill could be bad news for coastal ecosystems 13:07

    Environment:
    Winter Olympics 2026: Eileen Gu medals despite blizzard, Ilia Malinin breaks his silence — day 10 quick hits 13:07

    Rugby League:
    The Breakers' disappointing Australian basketball league season might still result in individual accolades 13:07

    Entertainment:
    Travis Kelce feels emotional about the prospect of the Kansas City Chiefs moving from their current stadium 12:57

    Entertainment:
    Jane Fonda lies in bed imagining what she would say to President Donald Trump 12:27

    Law and Order:
    Three people ended up in Dunedin hospital on Saturday - in varying states of consciousness, hit in the head by thrown objects at a party on Castle Street 12:27

    Soccer:
    A deflating exit for the most unlikely team to feature in the fourth round of English football's FA Cup 12:07

    Entertainment:
    Kaley Cuoco's fiancé Tom Pelphrey has never watched her hit sitcom The Big Bang Theory 11:57

    Business:
    This week marks the anniversary of New Zealand's first frozen lamb shipment to the UK, 144 years ago 11:57

    Entertainment:
    Jo Wood has decided to stay single for now after failing to find a suitable man on dating apps 11:27


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2026 New Zealand City Ltd