News | Entertainment
22 Feb 2026 8:43
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Entertainment

    Sir Elton John will continue his tour - despite having walking pneumonia

    The 'I'm Still Standing' hitmaker was forced to halt his gig in Auckland, New Zealand, over the weekend after he lost his voice mid-way through his performance but, despite his on-going health battle, he has no plans to cancel the remaining dates of his 'Farewell' tour in Australia and New Zealand


    A statement from promoters Chugg Entertainment was released on Monday (17.02.20) and said: "At this stage, all remaining shows will go ahead as planned.

    "Elton John was disappointed and deeply upset at having to end his Auckland concert early last night."

    The 72-year-old singer disappointed the audience at Mount Smart Stadium on Sunday night (16.02.20) when he told fans he had to leave the stage.

    He said: "I've just completely lost my voice. I can't sing. I've got to go. I'm sorry."

    He later took to Instagram to post an emotional statement, revealing he had been diagnosed with walking pneumonia - an informal term for pneumonia that isn't severe enough to require bed rest or hospitalisation - earlier in the day but had been "determined" to get on stage and sing for his fans.

    He wrote on Instagram: "I want to thank everyone who attended tonight's gig in Auckland. I was diagnosed with walking pneumonia earlier today, but I was determined to give you the best show humanly possible. I played and sang my heart out, until my voice could sing no more. I'm disappointed, deeply upset and sorry. I gave it all I had. Thank-you so much for your extraordinary support and all the love you showed me during tonight's performance. I am eternally grateful. Love, Elton xx (sic)"

    Elton has had a number of health scares over the years and had previously revealed he was "24 hours from death" when he contracted an infection after surgery for prostate cancer back in 2017, where fluid was leaking from his lymph nodes.

    He said: "I was incredibly lucky - although, I have to say, I didn't feel terribly lucky at the time. I lay awake all night, wondering if I was going to die. In the hospital, alone at the dead of night, I'd prayed: Please don't let me die, please let me see my kids again, please give me a little longer ... They took a sample of the infection ... it was much more serious than they'd first realised. There were MRI scans and God knows how many other procedures. The doctors told David I was 24 hours away from death. If the South American tour had gone on for another day that would have been it: brown bread.'"

    Elton is due to play two more shows in Auckland this week, before he will return to Australia to kickstart another round of gigs from February 22.

    © 2026 Bang Showbiz, NZCity

     Other Entertainment News
     22 Feb: Margot Robbie makes movies "for the people who are going to buy tickets"
     22 Feb: Gisele Bundchen is living the "life she dreamed of"
     22 Feb: Tom Noonan has died aged 74
     22 Feb: Logan Paul would "love" to wrestle Bad Bunny
     22 Feb: Jax Taylor is "the healthiest he's ever been"
     21 Feb: Hilary Duff "just felt really ready to share" when she returned to the music business
     21 Feb: Zendaya has learned that "so much of life is loss"
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    Heartbreak for the Welsh rugby team in Cardiff...losing 26-23 to Scotland, despite leading for all but five minutes of the Six Nations encounter More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    Two dogs have been impounded by Christchurch Council Animal Management officers and three people are in hospital after an attack in the North West More...



     Today's News

    Soccer:
    The Wellington Phoenix are on the lookout for a new head coach 8:37

    Auckland:
    A person has died after a vehicle hit a parked car and flipped in the Auckland suburb of Hillsborough yesterday evening 8:27

    Health & Safety:
    Palmerston North Hospital has received thousands in donations towards a surgical robot 8:27

    General:
    The Women's Freeski Halfpipe Final at the Winter Olympics has been postponed 8:17

    Entertainment:
    Margot Robbie makes movies "for the people who are going to buy tickets" 8:17

    Soccer:
    Giancarlo Italiano has taken aim at Auckland FC 8:07

    International:
    Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor was the Queen's rumoured favourite. Did she do too much to protect him? 7:57

    Rugby:
    Heartbreak for the Welsh rugby team in Cardiff...losing 26-23 to Scotland, despite leading for all but five minutes of the Six Nations encounter 7:47

    Entertainment:
    Gisele Bundchen is living the "life she dreamed of" 7:47

    Rugby:
    The Blues have beaten the Force 42-32 in their Super Rugby contest in Perth, while the Chiefs have had a nail-biting 26-23 win over the Highlanders in Dunedin....with coach Jono Gibbes praising the Landers for their grit 7:37


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2026 New Zealand City Ltd