News | Entertainment
19 Feb 2026 15:30
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Entertainment

    The cast of ‘Friends’ will be tested for coronavirus before the reunion special takes place in August

    Matt LeBlanc, Jennifer Aniston, Courtney Cox, Matthew Perry, and David Schwimmer are all set to reunite next month when they film HBO Max’s one-off reunion special of the hit sitcom, in which they all starred as a group of friends living in New York City


    But amid the coronavirus pandemic, the stars - who will reminisce on their time on the show in a roundtable style special - will have to undergo testing and quarantine measures before being allowed on set, to make sure they’re not carrying the virus.

    A source told The Sunday Mirror’s Watts the Goss column: “Everyone is really hoping production and filming can resume next month.

    "It’s full steam ahead right now, but there are going to be very strict guidelines and that includes no live audiences. That’s a big blow because bosses were desperate to create an authentic atmosphere.?“All of the cast will be tested for Covid-19, and asked to quarantine in isolation after they’ve had the tests.”

    The news comes after Martha Kauffman, who co-created ‘Friends’, said the crew were hoping to film in August.

    She said: "We are hoping to be able to shoot in August, if all is well and there is no early second wave and the studio is open. If everything is in place and we understand all the protocols and we can still make a good show, we'll be shooting it some time, mid-to-late August.”

    However, contrary to the latest reports, WarnerMedia Entertainment and Direct-to-Consumer chairman, Bob Greenblatt, previously insisted a 'Friends' reunion won't take place until a studio audience can be present for its taping.

    Bob shared: "At first we thought, shows will be delayed for a month or two at the most, and now it seems like it's going to be far longer than that. We're holding out for being able to get this special done hopefully by the end of the summer, if the stars align and hopefully we can get back into production. We do think there's a value to having a big, raucous live audience to experience these six great friends coming back together and we didn't want to just suddenly do it on a web call with, you know, six squares and people shooting from their kitchens and bedroom ... But at the moment, we're trying to look to the future and get this thing done in a more conventional way, and I think it's worth waiting for. We would have loved to have had it on [HBO Max on] day one, but at the same time, if we can get it launched in the fall, I think it'll be something that we can have the audience really looking forward to as well."

    © 2026 Bang Showbiz, NZCity

     Other Entertainment News
     19 Feb: Jane Seymour felt privileged to work with Robert Duvall
     19 Feb: Logan Paul has sold a Pokemon trading card for $16.5 million
     19 Feb: Sir Sam Mendes has "no outlet" during a film shoot
     19 Feb: Walton Goggins has hailed Robert Duvall as the "greatest storyteller of all time"
     19 Feb: Daniel Radcliffe is "always taking care" of Tracy Morgan
     19 Feb: Viola Davis was "in awe" of Robert Duvall when they worked together
     19 Feb: Joshua Bassett's memoir is the "most vulnerable" he's ever been
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    An All Black is departing the Crusaders at the end of the Super Rugby season More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    Fonterra shareholders have overwhelmingly voted to get the proceeds of the sale of Mainland brands like Anchor and Mainland More...



     Today's News

    Law and Order:
    Christchurch Police have confirmed a gang-related altercation on Northcote's Hoani Street last night involved firearms 14:57

    Cricket:
    Former White Ferns batter Lauren Down has announced her retirement from all forms of cricket 14:57

    National:
    Ads are coming to AI. Does that really have to be such a bad thing? 14:17

    Dunedin:
    One person's died at Dunedin's St Clair Beach, pulled unresponsive from the water about midday 14:07

    Cricket:
    White Ferns batter Lauren Down has called time on her 15-year cricket career 13:47

    Business:
    Fonterra shareholders have overwhelmingly voted to get the proceeds of the sale of Mainland brands like Anchor and Mainland 13:27

    National:
    A few weeks of X’s algorithm can make you more right-wing – and it doesn’t wear off quickly 13:07

    Cycling:
    Paris Olympics silver medallist Nicole Shields has announced her retirement from cycling 13:07

    Entertainment:
    Jane Seymour felt privileged to work with Robert Duvall 12:57

    Living & Travel:
    Winter Olympics 2026: Dog invades cross-country skiing, Americans get engaged as Ally Hickman feels the pain — day 12 quick hits 12:47


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2026 New Zealand City Ltd