News | Entertainment
22 Feb 2026 15:52
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Entertainment

    Bring Me the Horizon's Oli Sykes thanked the BRITs organisers for making the voting system "so complicated" as the rock band picked up their first-ever award

    The lead singer of the 'Shadow Moses' hitmakers took to the stage at the BRIT Awards with Mastercard on Saturday (02.03.24) as they were given the Alternative Rock Act Award and joked that only their fans could be bothered to vote after organisers of Britain's biggest night in music decided to start up a diversity drive by increasing nominations from five to 10


    After collecting the award, Oli said: "Right, I don't know what to say because I didn't think we'd be winning this. Cheers to the BRITs for making a voting system so complicated only our fans could be a**** to vote, I guess. Thanks to our fans, it's bloody insane this. I'm not gonna say owt else, cheers, thanks, very good."

    The rock band - which also consists of drummer Matt Nicholls, guitarist Lee Malia, and bassist Matt Kean - had beat off competition from Blur, The Rolling Stones, Young Fathers

    and Yussef Dayes for the coveted accolade.

    The change came about following a backlash after they introduced genderless categories for the 2023 event as part of a diversity drive.

    Last year, the Artist of the Year gong was won by former One Direction singer Harry Styles and no female artists were in the running for the trophy.

    A source told The Sun about how bosses are now expanding the category - again in the hope it will add more diversity to the nominees list: "The Brits' decision to create genderless categories was huge and they've now tweaked it again to try to make it more inclusive.

    "The move to go genderless was meant to be progressive, and by making this change they are hoping that it reflects this."

    © 2026 Bang Showbiz, NZCity

     Other Entertainment News
     22 Feb: Odessa A'zion has insisted the "last thing" she ever wants to do is "offend anybody"
     22 Feb: Jennifer Garner's children think she is "fully cringe"
     22 Feb: The Nancy Guthrie reward money has been doubled as the search for Savannah Guthrie's missing mom continues
     22 Feb: Romeo Beckham has added fuel to his brother Brooklyn's family feud, by "liking" an Instagram video claiming Nicola Peltz is "the problem"
     22 Feb: Brandi Glanville has finally discovered the cause of the facial disfiguration which aged her "20 years overnight"
     22 Feb: Hilary Duff has taken up crocheting because she needed to "do something" with her hands after her concerts
     22 Feb: Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor has been arrested - on his 66th birthday
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    Carlos Alcaraz has cruised past Arthur Fils 6-2 6-1 to win the Qatar Open and extend his perfect start to the year More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    Fifteen years on from the devastating Christchurch earthquake, belief light may finally be at the end of the tunnel More...



     Today's News

    Entertainment:
    Odessa A'zion has insisted the "last thing" she ever wants to do is "offend anybody" 15:47

    Cricket:
    New Zealand's T20 World Cup cricket clash against Pakistan in Colombo may have been rained out...but it's still a milestone match for Daryl Mitchell 15:27

    Soccer:
    Former All Whites goalkeepers Jacob Spoonley hopes the Wellington Phoenix are supporting their glovesman Josh Oluwayemi  15:27

    Entertainment:
    Jennifer Garner's children think she is "fully cringe" 15:17

    Rugby:
    Carlos Alcaraz has cruised past Arthur Fils 6-2 6-1 to win the Qatar Open and extend his perfect start to the year 14:57

    Accident and Emergency:
    Two people have died and another three are in a critical condition, after a two-vehicle crash on State Highway 1 in Marlborough 14:47

    Entertainment:
    The Nancy Guthrie reward money has been doubled as the search for Savannah Guthrie's missing mom continues 14:47

    General:
    Alisa Camplin-Warner calls for more funding after historic 2026 Milano Cortina Winter Olympics 14:17

    Entertainment:
    Romeo Beckham has added fuel to his brother Brooklyn's family feud, by "liking" an Instagram video claiming Nicola Peltz is "the problem" 14:17

    Soccer:
    Wellington Phoenix football coach Giancarlo Italiano is stepping down with his head held high 14:07


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2026 New Zealand City Ltd