News | Entertainment
20 Feb 2026 17:11
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Entertainment

    Liam Payne's "very dear friend" has insisted he didn't abandon the late star in the hours leading up to his death

    The One Direction singer passed away last month after falling from his hotel balcony and now Rogelio Nores, who is known as Roger, has told how he saw him less than an hour before his fatal fall as he dismissed claims police had raided his Buenos Aires home in connection to the tragedy


    Roger told MailOnline: "I never abandoned Liam, I went to his hotel three times that day and left 40 minutes before this happened.

    "There were over 15 people at the hotel lobby chatting and joking with him when I left.

    "I could have never imagined something like this would happen.

    "I've given my statement to the prosecutor on October 17 as a witness and I haven't spoken to any police officer or prosecutor ever since.

    "I wasn't Liam's manager he was just my very dear friend and please refer to the email I sent to Liam and his team on August 23.

    "I'm really heart-broken with this tragedy, and I've been missing my friend every day."

    Roger's statement came after police placed three people, a "friend" of the 'Strip That Down' hitmaker and two hotel employees, under official suspicion over Liam's death.

    They have been arrested in relation to "abandonment of a person followed by death, supply and facilitation of narcotics", a statement from the office of prosecutor Andres Esteban Madrea confirmed.

    It added: "Liam Payne was not fully conscious or was experiencing a state of noticeable decrease or loss of consciousness at the time of the fall."

    The statement also said one of the accused "accompanied the artist on a daily basis" while he was staying in Argentina.

    A hotel employee is also accused of supplying Liam with cocaine twice while he stayed at the hotel, the statement said.

    And third person is accused of supplying drugs to the singer twice during his stay on October 14.

    The prosecutor's office added it had heard a string of testimonies and analysed hundreds of hours of CCTV footage in connection with the investigation.

    And they said a "forensic extraction" had been carried out on Liam's mobile phone, which involved trawls of his calls, messages and social media accounts.

    © 2026 Bang Showbiz, NZCity

     Other Entertainment News
     20 Feb: Donald Trump has threatened Nancy Guthrie's kidnappers with the death penalty if she isn't returned alive
     20 Feb: Robert De Niro hopes he can live as long as Robert Duvall
     20 Feb: Jessie Buckley was "scared of love" for most of her life before settling down with husband Freddie Sorensen
     20 Feb: David Archuleta didn't think he "deserved" fame and success because of his struggles with his sexuality
     20 Feb: Savannah Guthrie's family members have been "cleared as possible suspects" in the disappearance of her mom Nancy
     20 Feb: Jada Pinkett Smith has asked a court to dismiss a $3 million lawsuit filed by her husband Will's former friend
     20 Feb: Gwyneth Paltrow's daughter Apple Martin has denied she was expelled from school for being a bully
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    All Blacks flanker Du'Plessis Kirifi has reported he's not far away from a return to the Super Rugby Pacific picture, but is warning his teammates not to take Moana Pasifika lightly tonight More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    Hopes are lifting among Auckland businesses for the economic recovery More...



     Today's News

    Politics:
    The Local Government Minister says he is seeking advice on changes to the 30-year-old Dog Control Act 16:57

    Entertainment:
    Donald Trump has threatened Nancy Guthrie's kidnappers with the death penalty if she isn't returned alive 16:47

    Law and Order:
    A woman's been arrested for allegedly nicking nearly eight-thousand dollars worth of items during a retirement village burglary spree 16:17

    Entertainment:
    Robert De Niro hopes he can live as long as Robert Duvall 16:17

    National:
    Is AI really ‘intelligent’? This philosopher says yes 16:07

    International:
    Timeline of key moments leading to former prince Andrew's arrest 16:07

    Politics:
    Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor released under investigation after almost 10 hours in custody 15:47

    Entertainment:
    Jessie Buckley was "scared of love" for most of her life before settling down with husband Freddie Sorensen 15:47

    Law and Order:
    A man's been charged with murder after a second man was discovered dead in Tauranga's Wharepai Domain last Saturday 15:27

    Business:
    Hopes are lifting among Auckland businesses for the economic recovery 15:17


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2026 New Zealand City Ltd