News | Entertainment
20 Feb 2026 22:24
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Entertainment

    Jay Z is celebrating his "victory" after a lawsuit accusing him of rape was dropped

    The 55-year-old rapper and Sean 'Diddy' Combs had been accused by an unnamed woman of drugging and raping her at an after-party for the 2000 MTV Video Music Awards in New York City when she was just 13


    However, after the case against him was "dismissed with prejudice", Jay Z is celebrating clearing his name.

    His attorney Alex Spiro said in a statement to Us Weekly: "The false case against Jay-Z, that never should have been brought, has been dismissed with prejudice. By standing up in the face of heinous and false allegations, Jay has done what few can - he pushed back, he never settled, he never paid one red penny, he triumphed and cleared his name."

    Jay Z added in a statement via his Roc Nation company: "Today is a victory. The frivolous, fictitious and appalling allegations have been dismissed. This civil suit was without merit and never going anywhere.

    "The fictional tale they created was laughable, if not for the seriousness of the claims. I would not wish this experience on anyone. The trauma that my wife, my children, loved ones and I have endured can never be dismissed.

    "The court must protect victims, OF COURSE, while with the same ethical responsibility, the courts must protect the innocent from being accused without a shred of evidence. May the truth prevail for all victims and those falsely accused equally."

    Jay - real name Shawn Carter, has always denied the allegations and had made several attempts through his lawyer to kill the case or force the woman to be publicly identified.

    Carter has said the lawsuit against him was part of an extortion attempt.

    It was lodged through attorney Tony Buzbee's firm, which is representing more than 100 alleged victims of Combs, and has filed a flood of suits against Diddy since he was jailed in September to await trial on charges including sex trafficking and racketeering - all of which he denies.

    © 2026 Bang Showbiz, NZCity

     Other Entertainment News
     20 Feb: President Donald Trump has remembered the late Jesse Jackson as "a good man, with lots of personality, grit, and street smarts" - and claimed he "could not stand" Barack Obama
     20 Feb: Nicole Kidman is reportedly being "romantically pursued" by MGM Resorts boss Paul Salem following her split from Keith Urban
     20 Feb: Margot Robbie worried she was "dumb" after deciding against going to university
     20 Feb: Rose Byrne has joked she "drinks a lot of alcohol" to decompress after work
     20 Feb: Baz Luhrmann is bringing Elvis Presley's story to theatres in a new stage show
     20 Feb: Tyra Banks refused to speak to Jay Manuel when he returned to America's Next Top Model
     20 Feb: Taylor Swift has thrown her support behind Team USA's figure skaters as they prepare to take to the ice at the Winter Olympics
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    High hopes for one of the Hurricanes' newest recruits More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    Hopes are lifting among Auckland businesses for the economic recovery More...



     Today's News

    Cricket:
    The Central Stags have posted a massive 211-run win over the Wellington Firebirds, to book their place against Canterbury in Sunday's one-day men's cricket final 21:57

    Entertainment:
    President Donald Trump has remembered the late Jesse Jackson as "a good man, with lots of personality, grit, and street smarts" - and claimed he "could not stand" Barack Obama 21:47

    Entertainment:
    Nicole Kidman is reportedly being "romantically pursued" by MGM Resorts boss Paul Salem following her split from Keith Urban 21:17

    International:
    Donald Trump suggests decision on Iran likely within 10 to 15 days 21:17

    Golf:
    Ryan Fox is right in the mix after a fine four-under-par opening round of 67, at the latest PGA Tour event in Los Angeles 21:17

    National:
    Andrew’s arrest: will anything like this now happen in the US? Why hasn’t it so far? 21:07

    General:
    Kyra Wheatley ready to ride the chaos and speed of ski cross at Milano Cortina 2026 Winter Olympics 21:07

    Entertainment:
    Margot Robbie worried she was "dumb" after deciding against going to university 20:47

    Entertainment:
    Rose Byrne has joked she "drinks a lot of alcohol" to decompress after work 20:17

    Entertainment:
    Baz Luhrmann is bringing Elvis Presley's story to theatres in a new stage show 19:47


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2026 New Zealand City Ltd