News | Entertainment
29 Nov 2025 14:58
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Entertainment

    Clive Owen thinks actors should not chase top roles to get their big break

    The 1998 thriller-noir film Croupier received a mutual response in the UK, but received a strong cult following in North America, causing leading man Clive's profile to get a huge boost stateside.


    And the 61-year-old star ultimately thinks actors should just focus on being good at their job.

    Clive told The Observer newspaper: "The one piece of advice I'd give to actors is that you can get the biggest break in your career from a tiny film that nobody thought would do anything. Mine was Croupier, which introduced me to America.

    "The reality is that the best career move is just to be good. Don't worry about chasing the big one. Just do the thing that sets you alight."

    Throughout his career, Clive has appeared in many big blockbusters, including the 2005 crime-action movie Sin City and the 2006 thriller-action film Children of Men.

    But his ultimate career high came in 2020 when he landed a cameo role in the HBO sitcom Curb Your Enthusiasm as an ultra-sensitive version of himself.

    In the season 10 episode Insufficient Praise, Clive starred in a one-man show called Kon-Tiki and was insulted by 78-year-old comic Larry David's lack of praise for his performance.

    Recalling the moment he got the phone call to star in the show, Clive - who is married to actress Sarah-Jane Fenton - said: "People think I'm joking when I said this, but I came downstairs after they phoned me to offer me the part, and said to my wife, 'I've just had the call of my career.'

    "They pitched me the whole plot, but they could have said absolutely anything and I'd have said yes!"

    However, Clive struggled to cope when he worked on the show, but he ended up enjoying the experience.

    He explained: "I felt totally out of my depth when I was on it as the actors are all so in the groove of how to do what they do, but it was brilliant."

    Clive and Sarah-Jane have two daughters - Hannah, 28, a film editor, and Eve, 26, who is a singer - and he is delighted they want to enter the showbiz world.

    Clive said: "We're very close as a family and see each other all the time, and that's been great. Both our kids have gone into the arts - Eve's a singer and Hannah's a film editor.

    "When people say, 'Do you really want to let your children go into the arts?', I felt, 'Well, [the arts] have always been so good to me.'"

    And Clive was pleased that Hannah wanted to become a film editor despite the job being male-dominated.

    He added: "When Hannah went to film school, I was thrilled she leaned into editing because it's still a fundamental area that's pretty underrepresented by women."

    © 2025 Bang Showbiz, NZCity

     Other Entertainment News
     29 Nov: Derek Hough is experiencing a wave of emotions ahead of becoming a dad
     29 Nov: A huge blaze ripped through Usain Bolt's Jamaican restaurant on Saturday (22.11.25), leaving it severely damaged
     29 Nov: Eva Longoria says becoming a mom at 43 was "perfect timing"
     29 Nov: Donald Glover has revealed he suffered a stroke last year
     29 Nov: Machine Gun Kelly made a shock confession about his sex life as he performed at the Las Vegas Grand Prix this week
     29 Nov: Sydney Sweeney says women, including herself, find it hard to ask for help as they don't want to be viewed as "weak"
     29 Nov: Charli xcx admits being a "pop star" is "fun" - but it's also "stupid" and "embarrassing" at times
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    Ryan Papenhuyzen and Zac Lomax are free to return to rugby league's NRL after rebel rugby union competition R360 pushed back their planned launch by two years - until 2028 More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    Changes to regional councils could create debate about what to do with the assets they own More...



     Today's News

    Entertainment:
    Derek Hough is experiencing a wave of emotions ahead of becoming a dad 14:38

    Living & Travel:
    Some Jetstar flights grounded due to global recall of Airbus A320 planes 14:26

    Environment:
    South-East Asia flood deaths rise as Cyclone Ditwah hits Sri Lanka, heads towards southern India 14:17

    Entertainment:
    A huge blaze ripped through Usain Bolt's Jamaican restaurant on Saturday (22.11.25), leaving it severely damaged 14:08

    Motorsports:
    Ryan Wood has qualified fastest for the top 10 shootout ahead of today's second race at the Supercars grand final in Adelaide 14:06

    Environment:
    Severe weather warnings for the southern, and central regions of the country tomorrow 13:46

    Christchurch:
    A person's died, after being pulled unresponsive from the water in Canterbury's Glenbrook 13:26

    Entertainment:
    Eva Longoria says becoming a mom at 43 was "perfect timing" 13:08

    Business:
    Changes to regional councils could create debate about what to do with the assets they own 13:07

    Rugby:
    Ryan Papenhuyzen and Zac Lomax are free to return to rugby league's NRL after rebel rugby union competition R360 pushed back their planned launch by two years - until 2028 13:07


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2025 New Zealand City Ltd