News | Entertainment
20 Feb 2026 15:11
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Entertainment

    Alec Baldwin's phone has finally been handed over to police

    The Santa Fe Sheriff's Office were granted a search warrant for the 63-year-old actor's iPhone in December, after investigators into the death of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins.


    Who was shot and killed on the set of 'Rust' by a gun Alec was holding in October - had suspicions that evidence related to the case may be on the device but it was revealed earlier this month it had still not been turned over.

    However, it has been confirmed Suffolk Country police in New York state were given the phone and password over the weekend and authorities will be studying the device for "relevant information", though Alec's lawyer insisted it won't provide any "answers".

    The lawyer, Aaron Dyer, told Deadline: "Alec voluntarily provided his phone to the authorities this morning so they can finish their investigation. But this matter isn't about his phone, and there are no answers on his phone.

    "Alec did nothing wrong. It is clear that he was told it was a cold gun, and was following instructions when this tragic accident occurred. The real question that needs to be answered is how live rounds got on the set in the first place."

    The news comes a few days after the 'Boss Baby' star slammed suggestions he wasn't complying with the investigation.

    He said in a video shared to Instagram: "Any suggestion that I am not complying with requests or orders or demands or search warrants about my phone, that's b*******, that's a lie.

    "This is a process where one state makes the request of another state. Someone from another state can't come to you and say, 'Give me your phone, give me this, give me that'. They can't do that. They've got to go through the state you live in.

    "And it's a process that takes time and they have to specify what exactly they want.

    "They can't just go through your phone and take your photos or your love letters to your wife or what have you, I really don't know.

    "But of course, we are 1,000 per cent going to comply with all that, we're perfectly fine with that."

    The Santa Fe Sheriff's Office filed for a search warrant on December 17, as they said material "relevant to the investigation" could be on the device.

    Detective Alexandria Hancock wrote in the search warrant: "Affiant believes there may be evidence on the phone, due to individuals using cellular phones during and/or after the commission of crime(s).

    "Such information, if it exists, may be material and relevant to this investigation.

    "Affiant was also made aware there were several emails and text messages sent and received regarding the movie production 'Rust' in the course of interviews."

    © 2026 Bang Showbiz, NZCity

     Other Entertainment News
     20 Feb: Savannah Guthrie's family members have been "cleared as possible suspects" in the disappearance of her mom Nancy
     20 Feb: Jada Pinkett Smith has asked a court to dismiss a $3 million lawsuit filed by her husband Will's former friend
     20 Feb: Gwyneth Paltrow's daughter Apple Martin has denied she was expelled from school for being a bully
     20 Feb: Meaghan Oppenheimer has revealed Tell Me Lies is ending at the "perfect" time
     19 Feb: Jane Seymour felt privileged to work with Robert Duvall
     19 Feb: Logan Paul has sold a Pokemon trading card for $16.5 million
     19 Feb: Sir Sam Mendes has "no outlet" during a film shoot
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    All Blacks flanker Du'Plessis Kirifi has reported he's not far away from a return to the Super Rugby Pacific picture, but is warning his teammates not to take Moana Pasifika lightly tonight More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    2026 could be the year for Auckland businesses, with confidence rising More...



     Today's News

    International:
    Donald Trump hosts first 'Board of Peace' meeting with new pledges for Gaza 15:07

    Motoring:
    Supercars driver Ryan Wood is aware of the risks that accompany being a tough competitor ahead of the season-opener in Sydney today 14:57

    Entertainment:
    Savannah Guthrie's family members have been "cleared as possible suspects" in the disappearance of her mom Nancy 14:47

    Law and Order:
    What we know about ex-prince Andrew's arrest on suspicion of misconduct in public office 14:37

    Education:
    Indra Brown's Winter Olympics medal contention doesn't remove the reality of school homework 14:27

    National:
    SpaceX rocket left behind a plume of chemical pollution as it burnt up in the atmosphere 14:17

    Entertainment:
    Jada Pinkett Smith has asked a court to dismiss a $3 million lawsuit filed by her husband Will's former friend 14:17

    Rugby:
    All Blacks flanker Du'Plessis Kirifi has reported he's not far away from a return to the Super Rugby Pacific picture, but is warning his teammates not to take Moana Pasifika lightly tonight 14:07

    National:
    Friday essay: ‘red flags’ and ‘performative reading’ – what do our reading choices say about us? 14:07

    Golf:
    Ryan Fox has slipped to a share of third, late in his opening round at the PGA Tour's Genesis Invitational in Los Angeles 14:07


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2026 New Zealand City Ltd