News | Entertainment
19 Feb 2026 13:06
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Entertainment

    Nelly has defended his decision to perform at Donald Trump's inauguration, calling it's "an honour"

    The 'Dilemma' hitmaker will perform alongside Carrie Underwood, Kid Rock, Billy Ray Cyrus, Village People, and Jason Aldean at the Capitol in Washington D.C. on Monday (20.01.25) as the Republican is sworn in for his second presidency


    After facing a backlash for supporting the controversial politician, the 50-year-old rapper told Geto Boys' Willie D on YouTube: "I didn't know that I had to agree with your political choices. If you follow what I do, this shouldn't even be an argument. He is the president. He won.

    He's the president. He's the commander-in-chief of what I would like to say is the best country in the world."

    The 'Ride Wit Me' star insists he never accepted the gig for the money and it's not about "politics".

    Nelly continued: "I'm not doing this for money. I'm doing this because it's an honour. I respect the office. It don't matter who is in office. The same way our brothers and sisters go to war to put their life on the line for whoever is in office. So, if they can put their life on the line for whoever is in office, I can damn sure perform for whoever is in office."

    After previously trying to get Trump to stop using their hit 'Y.M.C.A.' at his rallies, Village People are taking part in "at least one event" celebrating the inauguration.

    In a statement, the disco band said: "We are announcing today that VILLAGE PEOPLE have accepted an invitation from President Elect Trump's campaign to participate in inaugural activities, including at least one event with President Elect Trump."

    Defending the decision, they added: "We know this [won't] make some of you happy to hear however we believe that music is to be performed without regard to politics. Our song Y.M.C.A. is a global anthem that hopefully helps bring the country together after a tumultuous and divided campaign where our preferred candidate lost."

    © 2026 Bang Showbiz, NZCity

     Other Entertainment News
     19 Feb: Jane Seymour felt privileged to work with Robert Duvall
     19 Feb: Logan Paul has sold a Pokemon trading card for $16.5 million
     19 Feb: Sir Sam Mendes has "no outlet" during a film shoot
     19 Feb: Walton Goggins has hailed Robert Duvall as the "greatest storyteller of all time"
     19 Feb: Daniel Radcliffe is "always taking care" of Tracy Morgan
     19 Feb: Viola Davis was "in awe" of Robert Duvall when they worked together
     19 Feb: Joshua Bassett's memoir is the "most vulnerable" he's ever been
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    An All Black is departing the Crusaders at the end of the Super Rugby season More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    The Reserve Bank says severe weather is partly to blame for the recent sharp rise in the cost of food More...



     Today's News

    Entertainment:
    Jane Seymour felt privileged to work with Robert Duvall 12:57

    Living & Travel:
    Winter Olympics 2026: Dog invades cross-country skiing, Americans get engaged as Ally Hickman feels the pain — day 12 quick hits 12:47

    Rugby League:
    Kiwi league halfback Jahrome Hughes hopes mercenaries don't take advantage of State of Origin's new eligibility rules 12:47

    General:
    Danielle Scott wins silver medal in women's aerials event at 2026 Milano Cortina Winter Olympics 12:47

    Entertainment:
    Logan Paul has sold a Pokemon trading card for $16.5 million 12:27

    Soccer:
    Premier League leaders Arsenal have had a wretched time away against bottom-placed Wolves 12:27

    Law and Order:
    Christchurch police are appealing for information, after four people were injured in an altercation at Northcote last night 12:07

    Entertainment:
    Sir Sam Mendes has "no outlet" during a film shoot 11:57

    Education:
    An investigation into how an Auckland boy was injured falling from a school bus emergency exit, has found neither students or the driver were at fault 11:57

    Entertainment:
    Walton Goggins has hailed Robert Duvall as the "greatest storyteller of all time" 11:27


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2026 New Zealand City Ltd