News | Entertainment
18 Feb 2026 14:48
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Entertainment

    Jay Z is celebrating his "victory" after a lawsuit accusing him of rape was dropped

    The 55-year-old rapper and Sean 'Diddy' Combs had been accused by an unnamed woman of drugging and raping her at an after-party for the 2000 MTV Video Music Awards in New York City when she was just 13


    However, after the case against him was "dismissed with prejudice", Jay Z is celebrating clearing his name.

    His attorney Alex Spiro said in a statement to Us Weekly: "The false case against Jay-Z, that never should have been brought, has been dismissed with prejudice. By standing up in the face of heinous and false allegations, Jay has done what few can - he pushed back, he never settled, he never paid one red penny, he triumphed and cleared his name."

    Jay Z added in a statement via his Roc Nation company: "Today is a victory. The frivolous, fictitious and appalling allegations have been dismissed. This civil suit was without merit and never going anywhere.

    "The fictional tale they created was laughable, if not for the seriousness of the claims. I would not wish this experience on anyone. The trauma that my wife, my children, loved ones and I have endured can never be dismissed.

    "The court must protect victims, OF COURSE, while with the same ethical responsibility, the courts must protect the innocent from being accused without a shred of evidence. May the truth prevail for all victims and those falsely accused equally."

    Jay - real name Shawn Carter, has always denied the allegations and had made several attempts through his lawyer to kill the case or force the woman to be publicly identified.

    Carter has said the lawsuit against him was part of an extortion attempt.

    It was lodged through attorney Tony Buzbee's firm, which is representing more than 100 alleged victims of Combs, and has filed a flood of suits against Diddy since he was jailed in September to await trial on charges including sex trafficking and racketeering - all of which he denies.

    © 2026 Bang Showbiz, NZCity

     Other Entertainment News
     18 Feb: Amy Schumer created a "crying corner" on Valentine's Day (14.02.26) amid her divorce from Chris Fischer
     18 Feb: Snoop Dogg had an unexpected moment in Livigno, Italy, this week after his payment failed at a local restaurant - and he later repaid the gesture with Olympic tickets
     18 Feb: Sir Ian McKellen admits he "accepted that I'm not immortal" since his 2024 fall
     18 Feb: Barack Obama has condemned a racist video circulated by President Donald Trump, calling the incident a disturbing reflection of today's political climate
     18 Feb: Ed Sheeran has revealed the reason he ditched his mobile phone - and how the experience inspired his song
     18 Feb: Meghan, Duchess of Sussex amped up the Valentine's Day magic by sharing an adorable snap of Prince Harry scooping up their daughter, Princess Lilibet, as he clutched a bunch of balloons
     18 Feb: Hilary Duff helped two fans pull off the ultimate engagement moment during her Las Vegas show on Friday night (13.02.26)
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    Don't expect an All Blacks coaching announcement imminently More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    An improving financial situation for one of our largest companies, Fletcher Building More...



     Today's News

    Entertainment:
    Amy Schumer created a "crying corner" on Valentine's Day (14.02.26) amid her divorce from Chris Fischer 14:27

    General:
    Australia's most successful Winter Olympics coach Peter McNiel and how his moguls team led the Milano Cortina gold rush 14:17

    National:
    ‘It could happen here’: Lord of the Flies took its lessons from Hitler’s Germany. They speak to now 14:07

    Rugby League:
    Cronulla and Kiwis back-rower Briton Nikora is keen to play for Queensland under the new State of Origin rules 14:07

    Entertainment:
    Snoop Dogg had an unexpected moment in Livigno, Italy, this week after his payment failed at a local restaurant - and he later repaid the gesture with Olympic tickets 13:57

    Health & Safety:
    Two new blood cancer medications could soon be available to patients as pills, with one accessible through private clinics 13:47

    Entertainment:
    Sir Ian McKellen admits he "accepted that I'm not immortal" since his 2024 fall 13:27

    Law and Order:
    A young driver accused stealing a car and colliding with other vehicles in Christchurch is appearing in Youth Court today 13:27

    International:
    Iran announces temporary closure of Strait of Hormuz during US nuclear talks 13:07

    Cricket:
    Uncertainty over whether changes to the domestic T20 competition would stop top players from joining overseas leagues 13:07


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2026 New Zealand City Ltd