News | Entertainment
18 Feb 2026 2:30
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Entertainment

    King Charles has been praised for his "immense" American football skills

    The 76-year-old monarch paid a visit to Tottenham Hotspur's stadium in north London on Wednesday (12.02.25), to celebrate its outreach work in the community, as well as its partnership with the NFL, and after a quick demonstration on throwing technique, the king was cheered as he threw a pass with his right arm


    Charles was later persuaded to take a turn as a quarterback, throwing a ball at a net but missed the target hoops.

    However, Washington Commanders player Efe Obada was very impressed.

    He was quoted by the Telegraph as saying: "I loved his energy, the fact that he came in here willing to get stuck in.

    "His technique was immense. I wanted him to get a hoop, in the target, but he was just having a good time. We talked about the NFL and he's a fan. He's going to watch the games."

    As well as NFL players, the king also spoke to Spurs' soccer stars, asking captain Heung-Min Son how the side - who are currently 14th in the Premier League and were knocked out of both the FA Cup and Carabao Cup last week - were doing.

    Son told him: "Difficult moments, but working hard."

    In response, the king noted there were "a lot of good coaches".

    Inside the stadium, Charles met with various businesses and community organisations that have partnered with the club, including young people supported by his own King's Trust charity.

    Former prisoner Gina Moffatt, 48, who was helped by the charity to turn her life around and now runs a successful restaurant in the area made Charles laugh when she compared him to Beyonce, who is set to perform six concerts at the stadium in June.

    She said: "I'm so excited that you're even back in Tottenham, this year's looking all good, Tottenham Hotspur's doing great stuff.

    "We've got Beyoncé coming but you're bigger than Beyoncé."

    Following his visit, Charles was given two gifts, an American football from the weekend's Super Bowl game in New Orleans, and a replica of Tottenham's historic golden cockerel statue.

    Former England defender Ledley King, who is now an ambassador for Spurs, having spent his entire playing career at the club, was delighted to welcome Charles to the stadium.

    He said: "It's fantastic to have the King here. There is a lot of great work going on in the community and it's great to have him here at the stadium to see what goes on.

    "It's much more than a football stadium, it reaches out to the wider community.

    "We spoke about the difference between the NFL and football and how there are quite a few stoppages and now that I'm older it's a lot easier for me with many stoppages.

    "It's a pleasure to meet him."

    © 2026 Bang Showbiz, NZCity

     Other Entertainment News
     17 Feb: Leslie Grossman and Sascha Penn are married
     17 Feb: Keke Palmer is "more intentional" with her work and time since becoming a mom
     17 Feb: Harry Styles learnt "how to slow down" on his career break
     17 Feb: Jelly Roll and Bunnie Xo's sex life is better now that he is not "so big"
     17 Feb: Tyler Perry broke his collarbone in a "terrible" bike fall
     17 Feb: James Van Der Beek's brother "didn't know it would hurt so badly" when he died
     17 Feb: Jennifer Aniston's 57th birthday was "even more meaningful" because she spent it with boyfriend Jim Curtis
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    Irish rugby to investigate racial abuse towards Test debutant Edwin Edogbo More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    New Zealand lamb is still a premium product in the UK, 144 years since the first shipment of 5000 carcasses sailed out of Port Chalmers in 1882 More...



     Today's News

    International:
    The Missing number in the hundreds of thousands in Syria, where mass graves of torture victims are found weekly 22:07

    Entertainment:
    Leslie Grossman and Sascha Penn are married 21:57

    Politics:
    Labour's Jan Tinetti says today's employment law change is a backwards step 21:57

    Entertainment:
    Keke Palmer is "more intentional" with her work and time since becoming a mom 21:27

    Living & Travel:
    Second-placed Auckland FC look to close the gap on leaders Newcastle tonight in the A-League 21:17

    Entertainment:
    Harry Styles learnt "how to slow down" on his career break 20:57

    Entertainment:
    Jelly Roll and Bunnie Xo's sex life is better now that he is not "so big" 20:27

    Entertainment:
    Tyler Perry broke his collarbone in a "terrible" bike fall 19:57

    Entertainment:
    James Van Der Beek's brother "didn't know it would hurt so badly" when he died 19:27

    Politics:
    The Greens say the Government's attacking workers with a major change to workplace law 18:57


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2026 New Zealand City Ltd