News | Entertainment
1 Dec 2025 11:49
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Entertainment

    Alex James has already spent all of the money he earned from Blur's recent reunion

    The Brit pop rockers got back together last year to play a pair of huge shows at London's Wembley Stadium and release new album 'The Ballad of Darren' and now bassist Alex has confessed he made a fortune from the project but it's all been spent on converting a barn on his farm into a luxury annexe


    He told The Times newspaper: "It's all gone now ... I've been rich, I've been poor. Rich is definitely better, but there are so many other things more important than money."

    Blur's reunion is being followed by the hotly-anticipated return of Oasis next summer when they will kick off a massive tour which includes five dates at Wembley Stadium.

    When asked about the comeback of Blur's infamous Brit pop rivals, Alex told the publication: "I'm delighted for them."

    However, Alex admitted he probably won't go along to any of the shows, adding: "I don't think so. I saw them play in a pub in San Francisco in 1994.

    "They were great. I'd go back to that one. It was good. They both really had something."

    Alex has written about the Blur reunion in his new book 'Over the Rainbow: Tales from an Unexpected Year' and revealed he had no idea if they would shift enough tickets to sell out the 90,000 Wembley Stadium.

    In the tome, he explained: "It had been eight winters since the band had last played a note together. We hadn't spoken to, or even shouted at, each other for two years.

    "And there was no guarantee that anyone else was still interested. That's something you never really know until you actually start trying to sell tickets - and we had a lot of tickets to sell.

    "This would be our biggest ever show. Would anyone really be persuaded to go to downtown Brent on a Saturday night in summertime?"

    He was amazed when the first night sold out in minutes and told The Times it was an easy decision to agree to a second show at the venue.

    Alex said: "I was walking into [London festive attraction] Winter Wonderland when I got that call. 'Do you think we should add another night?' The first thing [wife] Claire said was, 'Harry Styles is doing four.' Keeping it real."

    © 2025 Bang Showbiz, NZCity

     Other Entertainment News
     30 Nov: Millie Bobby Brown had to hide her "wedding hair" while shooting the final season of Stranger Things
     30 Nov: James Van Der Beek's wife says he's "bouncing back" during his cancer battle
     30 Nov: Will Young has credited his dogs with improving his mental health because they are "consistent companions and fiercely loyal"
     30 Nov: Robert Irwin admits dating is "so challenging to navigate" in the public eye
     30 Nov: Sean 'Diddy' Combs' rapper son King Combs believes the disgraced star could be released from prison in time for the holidays
     30 Nov: Macaulay Culkin has reminded fans that his middle name is also Macaulay Culkin
     30 Nov: Former Fox TV chief Dana Walden had to "teach" fans to embrace Glee
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    Jimmy Barnes is heading back to New Zealand - to celebrate his landmark album, For the Working Class Man, turning 40 More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    How visible displays of wealth make people support higher taxes – new study More...



     Today's News

    Soccer:
    Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta's lamenting the often stop-start nature of their Premier League football clash away to Chelsea 11:37

    Motoring:
    F1 Qatar: McLaren pitstop blunder costs Oscar Piastri win, Max Verstappen closes in on Lando Norris 11:17

    National:
    ‘Make the platforms safer’: what young people really think about the social media ban 11:17

    Motorsports:
    McLaren team principal Andrea Stella admits a wrong tactical decision cost them success at Formula One's Qatar Grand Prix 11:07

    Law and Order:
    Police have named a man killed in an altercation in New Plymouth last month - as 68-year-old Martin James Mooney 10:47

    International:
    Lebanese hopeful Pope Leo will bring peace as he visits the country 10:37

    Business:
    How visible displays of wealth make people support higher taxes – new study 10:37

    Politics:
    Powers to move homeless people on from city centres, could be confirmed by Christmas 10:27

    Auckland:
    NZ now has a narrow window to stop the Asian yellow-legged hornet – here’s how everyone can help 10:27

    National:
    Trump wants Australian data on migrant crime. This will only scapegoat vulnerable people 10:17


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2025 New Zealand City Ltd