News | Entertainment
17 Feb 2026 20:01
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Entertainment

    Max George became "nervous" when doctors told him he had to have a second operation on his heart

    The 36-year-old pop star - who is best known for being part of the boyband The Wanted alongside Siva Kaneswaran, Nathan Sykes, Jay McGuinness, and the late Tom Parker - underwent emergency surgery in December after a sudden heart problem put him in need of a pacemaker, and he has now revealed that he had "no choice" but to undergo another op after things got "worse and worse" for him


    He told The Sun on Sunday newspaper: "I thought I was on the road to recovery but when I was told I needed a second operation I was nervous, as pulling the pacemaker wires out of the heart wall risks bleeding on the heart.

    "I didn't have a choice, though. I had to have it done.

    "I was trying to get back to good health but was still having a flickering sensation for weeks after I had my pacemaker fitted and it was gradually getting worse and worse.

    "When my heart rate went up, it was causing a shock in my heart which was making me jump all the time. My chest was shaking."

    Just before Christmas, it was discovered that Max had been suffering from an atrioventricular block, which caused his heart to beat abnormally.

    The 'Glad You Came' hitmaker was booked to go in for surgery again in mid-January, but became increasingly worried about it all and lost sleep the night before.

    He said: "The night before, I was really nervous, I didn't sleep much.

    "I was worried it could go wrong again and felt anxious that it could bleed out."

    Max then needed to undergo a lung biopsy after doctors found enlarged lymph, and he was warned that the invasive operation could damage his vocal cords permanently.

    He said: "The doctor did warn me there is a small chance that I could lose my voice. That was pretty worrying, but I decided I needed to take the risk. The biopsy was pretty gnarly, it's a camera with prongs on the end that goes down your throat. It was painful. The recovery was tough, I had chest pain and was coughing up blood for five days."

    In the end, Max received the all-clear, but he admitted that the "worst part" of the whole ordeal was seeing the pain it had caused his parents.

    He said: "The worst part for me is seeing my parents go through this. My mum has found it traumatic. I've tried to hold back from being upset in front of them. I feel helpless and responsible."

    © 2026 Bang Showbiz, NZCity

     Other Entertainment News
     17 Feb: James Van Der Beek's brother "didn't know it would hurt so badly" when he died
     17 Feb: Jennifer Aniston's 57th birthday was "even more meaningful" because she spent it with boyfriend Jim Curtis
     17 Feb: Jesy Nelson had one final "awkward" phone call with her Little Mix bandmates after quitting the group following an attempt to take her own life
     17 Feb: Jessica Alba and Cash Warren have finally agreed divorce terms
     17 Feb: Gordon Ramsay has insisted Victoria Beckham did not behave "inappropriately" at her son's wedding
     17 Feb: Halle Berry "never thought she'd get married again"
     17 Feb: Brooks Nader was "chasing perfection" during her teenage years
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    Irish rugby to investigate racial abuse towards Test debutant Edwin Edogbo More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    New Zealand lamb is still a premium product in the UK, 144 years since the first shipment of 5000 carcasses sailed out of Port Chalmers in 1882 More...



     Today's News

    Entertainment:
    James Van Der Beek's brother "didn't know it would hurt so badly" when he died 19:27

    Politics:
    The Greens say the Government's attacking workers with a major change to workplace law 18:57

    Entertainment:
    Jennifer Aniston's 57th birthday was "even more meaningful" because she spent it with boyfriend Jim Curtis 18:57

    Law and Order:
    A significant amount of silver and gold's been stolen from a West Auckland home 18:37

    Entertainment:
    Jesy Nelson had one final "awkward" phone call with her Little Mix bandmates after quitting the group following an attempt to take her own life 18:27

    Rugby League:
    A blow to the Warriors halves options ahead of the new NRL season with Te Maire Martin out for an extended period with a broken leg 18:17

    Rugby League:
    Marquee Canterbury recruit Leo Thompson to miss 10 weeks following calf injury 18:17

    Entertainment:
    Jessica Alba and Cash Warren have finally agreed divorce terms 17:57

    Cricket:
    The Black Caps don't believe the loss to South Africa will derail their T20 World Cup campaign 17:27

    Entertainment:
    Gordon Ramsay has insisted Victoria Beckham did not behave "inappropriately" at her son's wedding 17:27


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2026 New Zealand City Ltd