British police have charged Russell Brand with rape and multiple sex offences after a bombshell 2023 media investigation made numerous claims about the celebrity.
In a statement released Friday, local time, London's Metropolitan Police listed five charges, dating from 1999 to 2005, related to four women.
It said Mr Brand had been charged with one count of rape, one count of indecent assault, one count of oral rape and two counts of sexual assault.
"The Met's investigation remains open and detectives ask anyone who has been affected by this case, or anyone who has any information, to come forward and speak with police," the statement said.
The comedian denied charges of rape and indecent assault, saying he had been an addict in the past "but what I never was was a rapist".
In a video posted on X, Brand said: "I was a fool … I was a drug addict, a sex addict and an imbecile, but what I never was was a rapist. I've never engaged in non consensual activity."
In 2023, the Sunday Times newspaper and UK network Channel 4's documentary show "Dispatches" reported that four women had accused Brand of sexual assaults, including a rape, between 2006 and 2013.
After the allegations were published, police opened an investigation.
According to the Met's statement on Friday, it's alleged Mr Brand:
- Raped a woman in the Bournemouth area in 1999
- Indecently assaulted a woman in London in 2001
- Orally raped and sexually assaulted a woman in London in 2004
- Sexually assaulted a woman in London between 2004 and 2005
Mr Brand, 50, is the former husband of US pop star Katy Perry and was one of Britain's most high-profile comedians and broadcasters.
The Get Him To The Greek actor has previously denied the allegations, saying his relationships were "always consensual".
In the 2000s, he was a regular on global screens, known for his flamboyant style and appearance.
By the early 2020s he had faded from mainstream culture, appearing primarily on his internet channel where he airs his views on US politics, free speech and promotes conspiracy theories.
Last year, he was also spotted at the Republican National Convention in the United States, and posed in snaps with some of the party's prominent figures.
Detective Superintendent Andy Furphy said the women who made reports against Mr Brand continued to receive support.
"[We] ask anyone who has been affected by this case, or anyone who has any information, to come forward and speak with police," he said.
Mr Brand will appear at Westminster Magistrates' Court for a first hearing on May 2.
Reuters/AFP