News | International
30 Nov 2025 8:01
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > International

    Eight arrested and 128 people dead as alarm faults confirmed in Hong Kong fire

    The arrests come as the probe into what caused the deadly blaze that killed at least 128 people continues.


    Another eight people have been arrested over the deadly apartment blaze in Hong Kong that killed at least 128 people, as authorities confirm that fire alarms at the complex were faulty.

    Hong Kong's Independent Commission Against Corruption said the seven men and one woman arrested included "engineering consultants, scaffolding construction contractors and a middleman" linked to the renovation works underway at the site.

    It added that raids on 13 locations had been undertaken by officers, who had seized documents and bank records.

    The announcement follows the arrest of three other people earlier this week, as the probe continues into what caused the blaze at the Wang Fuk Court complex in Hong Kong's Tai Po district.

    There are still 200 people missing following the worst fire in the city in nearly 80 years, which also left 79 people including 11 firefighters injured.

    Those missing include dozens of domestic workers from the Philippines.

    Preliminary findings suggest the fire started on protective netting outside the lower floors of one building, and quickly spread upwards thanks to "highly flammable" foam boards, Hong Kong security chief Chris Tang said.

    The foam boards were attached to windows, shattering the glass and causing the fire "to intensify and spread indoors", he added.

    The intense heat set the bamboo alight, and sticks of it broke off and fell to floors below, meaning the fire spread further, he said.

    However authorities confirmed that fire alarms in the complex did not work, after residents complained that they received no warning when the fire sparked on Wednesday, Hong Kong time.

    Residents have recounted calling loved ones and going door-to-door to alert neighbours to the fire.

    "We will take enforcement actions against the contractors responsible," fire services chief Andy Yeung told a press conference prior to the arrests.

    The fire was extinguished on Friday, some 40 hours after it began and burnt through seven of the eight blocks in the complex.

    The city's fire authority said it had finished searching the high-rise blocks for survivors.

    "We do not rule out the possibility that more bodies could be discovered when police enter the building for detailed investigations," Mr Tang said.

    He added that only 39 of the 128 people killed had been identified.

    'My heart feels so heavy'

    On Friday, mourners laid flowers in front of the charred and smouldering buildings, while distressed residents surveyed the remains of their homes.

    "This is my home. Look over there, the 10th floor, that's where my home was. By the hills, that's where my home used to be," one resident, identified only as Miss Yu, said.

    "I really want to go back home, but my home is probably gone now. They won't let us go back, so when I look in that direction, my heart feels so heavy."

    Some 900 displaced residents are in emergency shelters near their homes.

    Hong Kongers have rallied to deliver essentials from hot food to diapers in the days since the disaster.

    "This is real civil participation," said 22-year-old Helena, who was coordinating volunteers, and gave only one name.

    Hong Kongers demand answers

    Investigators said the probe into the fire's cause is expected to take three to four weeks.

    The materials used in the renovation works have been the initial focus for investigators, who have examined green sheeting and bamboo scaffolding which encased the buildings.

    Foam boards at the site are also said to have helped the blaze spread quickly.

    Hong Kong's Labour Department told AFP it had conducted 16 inspections of the Wang Fuk Court renovation works since July 2024.

    It said it told the contractor to "implement appropriate fire prevention measures" after its most recent visit on November 20.

    Inspectors will check all housing estates undergoing renovations following the disaster and will continue plans to increase the use of metal scaffolding.

    However, angry residents have found support from others who are demanding a wider probe into the construction industry.

    Several people were distributing flyers at a train station near Wang Fuk Court, which called for a an investigation into regulatory negligence, resettlement, government accountability and for the construction monitoring system to be re-examined.

    "We really need a whole revamp of institutions," said Miles, who was handing out the leaflets.

    "We need to really look into any potential corruption that's happening … in construction sites in all the sectors around Hong Kong. And that's the reason why we as regular Hong Kongers are standing out."

    ABC/wires


    ABC




    © 2025 ABC Australian Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved

     Other International News
     30 Nov: Why Barbados became a republic and cut ties with the British monarchy
     30 Nov: South-East Asia flood deaths rise as Cyclone Ditwah hits Sri Lanka, heads towards southern India
     29 Nov: About 90 Jetstar flights cancelled due to global recall of Airbus A320 planes
     29 Nov: Oscar Piastri fastest qualifier for Qatar F1 sprint race, with championship leader Lando Norris third
     29 Nov: Imran Khan's son and political allies concerned about his health amid block on prison visits
     29 Nov: Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky's chief of staff, has resigned following an anti-corruption raid on his home
     29 Nov: Hong Kong tower residents had safety complaints more than 12 months before deadly fires
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    Springbok skipper Siya Kolisi is sticking up for Eben Etzebeth , despite the big lock being sent off for eye gouging in South Africa's huge 73-nil win over Wales in Cardiff More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    Changes to regional councils could create debate about what to do with the assets they own More...



     Today's News

    Motoring:
    Chaz Mostert has kept his Supercars title hopes alive after a remarkable drive in the penultimate race of the season in Adelaide 7:47

    Entertainment:
    Sir David Beckham amuses fans by recreating his "be honest" moment from his documentary 7:38

    International:
    Why Barbados became a republic and cut ties with the British monarchy 7:37

    Rugby:
    Springbok skipper Siya Kolisi is sticking up for Eben Etzebeth , despite the big lock being sent off for eye gouging in South Africa's huge 73-nil win over Wales in Cardiff 7:37

    Motoring:
    Qualifying is underway for Formula One's Qatar Grand Prix 7:27

    Soccer:
    Sunderland is a surprise fourth in the English Premier League after a 3-2 win over Bournemouth 7:17

    Entertainment:
    Keith Urban helped a contestant reshape her song about marriage during the latest episode of his CBS/Paramount+ reality series The Road 7:08

    Rugby:
    The triumphant Springboks' Northern Tour has ended under a dark cloud 7:07

    Entertainment:
    Selma Blair feels "very, very lucky" to have been in remission from Multiple Sclerosis for a "couple of years" 6:38

    Entertainment:
    Ethan Hawke's daughters wish he hadn't appeared in a Taylor Swift music video 6:08


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2025 New Zealand City Ltd