News | Entertainment
18 Feb 2026 2:53
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Entertainment

    Prince Harry could reportedly face a bill of more than £1 million over his security funding court fight

    The Duke of Sussex, 39, has been fighting the 2020 decision to downgrade his taxpayer funded, round-the-clock protection when he quit senior royal duties with his wife Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, 42, to move to America


    But it emerged on Monday (15.04.24) the dad-of-two - who has children Archie, four, and two-year-old Lilibet with Meghan - he had lost his initial bid to appeal against the move.

    He is still able to ask the Court of Appeal directly for the green light to challenge Sir Peter's decision - but has been told to pay the majority of the UK Home Office's legal costs of defending his challenge over the decision to change the level of his security when he visits the UK.

    A Freedom of Information request has revealed that by October 2023, the government's legal costs to defend itself against Harry in the case had reached the £400,000-plus mark.

    By that point, the case had already cost the government legal department £265,437 and counsel £137,864.

    The Daily Star has reported it means Harry now faces having to pay back the taxpayer at least £500,000 after losing his challenge.

    It said his own legal costs are likely to be similar, if not more, than that sum, meaning he could end up with a bill of more than £1 million so far in his court fight.

    Harry launched legal action against the Home Office over the February 2020 decision of the ex ecutive Committee for the Protection of Royalty and Public Figures (Ravec) that he should receive a different degree of taxpayer-funded protection when in the country.

    Ravec's decision came as a result of a change in his status after he stopped being a "full-time working member of the royal family", a judge was told.

    In a judgment in February, retired High Court justice Sir Peter Lane rejected Harry's case and concluded Ravec's approach was not irrational or procedurally unfair.

    Following the ruling, a spokesperson for the duke said he was going to challenge the judgment, adding the bloke "hopes he will obtain justice from the Court of Appeal".

    Harry argued he was "singled out" and treated "less favourably" than others by Ravec.

    He has previously asked to fund his own Metropolitan Police armed bodyguards but officials refused.

    Harry has also said he was unable to return to the UK with his family as it was "too dangerous" after his security was downgraded.

    He is allowed protection when he stays at royal residences or attends official events run by the Royal Family, but has to fund his security if visiting Britain for other reasons.

    © 2026 Bang Showbiz, NZCity

     Other Entertainment News
     17 Feb: Leslie Grossman and Sascha Penn are married
     17 Feb: Keke Palmer is "more intentional" with her work and time since becoming a mom
     17 Feb: Harry Styles learnt "how to slow down" on his career break
     17 Feb: Jelly Roll and Bunnie Xo's sex life is better now that he is not "so big"
     17 Feb: Tyler Perry broke his collarbone in a "terrible" bike fall
     17 Feb: James Van Der Beek's brother "didn't know it would hurt so badly" when he died
     17 Feb: Jennifer Aniston's 57th birthday was "even more meaningful" because she spent it with boyfriend Jim Curtis
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    Irish rugby to investigate racial abuse towards Test debutant Edwin Edogbo More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    New Zealand lamb is still a premium product in the UK, 144 years since the first shipment of 5000 carcasses sailed out of Port Chalmers in 1882 More...



     Today's News

    International:
    The Missing number in the hundreds of thousands in Syria, where mass graves of torture victims are found weekly 22:07

    Entertainment:
    Leslie Grossman and Sascha Penn are married 21:57

    Politics:
    Labour's Jan Tinetti says today's employment law change is a backwards step 21:57

    Entertainment:
    Keke Palmer is "more intentional" with her work and time since becoming a mom 21:27

    Living & Travel:
    Second-placed Auckland FC look to close the gap on leaders Newcastle tonight in the A-League 21:17

    Entertainment:
    Harry Styles learnt "how to slow down" on his career break 20:57

    Entertainment:
    Jelly Roll and Bunnie Xo's sex life is better now that he is not "so big" 20:27

    Entertainment:
    Tyler Perry broke his collarbone in a "terrible" bike fall 19:57

    Entertainment:
    James Van Der Beek's brother "didn't know it would hurt so badly" when he died 19:27

    Politics:
    The Greens say the Government's attacking workers with a major change to workplace law 18:57


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2026 New Zealand City Ltd