News | Entertainment
21 Feb 2026 18:32
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Entertainment

    Liam Payne's "very dear friend" has insisted he didn't abandon the late star in the hours leading up to his death

    The One Direction singer passed away last month after falling from his hotel balcony and now Rogelio Nores, who is known as Roger, has told how he saw him less than an hour before his fatal fall as he dismissed claims police had raided his Buenos Aires home in connection to the tragedy


    Roger told MailOnline: "I never abandoned Liam, I went to his hotel three times that day and left 40 minutes before this happened.

    "There were over 15 people at the hotel lobby chatting and joking with him when I left.

    "I could have never imagined something like this would happen.

    "I've given my statement to the prosecutor on October 17 as a witness and I haven't spoken to any police officer or prosecutor ever since.

    "I wasn't Liam's manager he was just my very dear friend and please refer to the email I sent to Liam and his team on August 23.

    "I'm really heart-broken with this tragedy, and I've been missing my friend every day."

    Roger's statement came after police placed three people, a "friend" of the 'Strip That Down' hitmaker and two hotel employees, under official suspicion over Liam's death.

    They have been arrested in relation to "abandonment of a person followed by death, supply and facilitation of narcotics", a statement from the office of prosecutor Andres Esteban Madrea confirmed.

    It added: "Liam Payne was not fully conscious or was experiencing a state of noticeable decrease or loss of consciousness at the time of the fall."

    The statement also said one of the accused "accompanied the artist on a daily basis" while he was staying in Argentina.

    A hotel employee is also accused of supplying Liam with cocaine twice while he stayed at the hotel, the statement said.

    And third person is accused of supplying drugs to the singer twice during his stay on October 14.

    The prosecutor's office added it had heard a string of testimonies and analysed hundreds of hours of CCTV footage in connection with the investigation.

    And they said a "forensic extraction" had been carried out on Liam's mobile phone, which involved trawls of his calls, messages and social media accounts.

    © 2026 Bang Showbiz, NZCity

     Other Entertainment News
     21 Feb: Katie Price has suggested she is expecting a child with her new husband Lee Andrews
     21 Feb: Sharon Stone has unleashed a fiery takedown of society's ongoing discomfort with nudity, blasting the idea that women should hide their bodies - or be ashamed of the most basic parts of being human
     21 Feb: Drawings by the late Queen Elizabeth are expected to sell for thousands at auction
     21 Feb: David Archuleta made himself homeless at the height of his fame
     21 Feb: Hart to Hart stars Robert Wagner and Stefanie Powers recently reunited for the former's 96th birthday
     21 Feb: Prince William has opened up about the personal work he does to understand his own emotions, saying he often needs time to process how he feels
     21 Feb: Emma Heming Willis says caring for her husband Bruce Willis has made her realise how "vital" it is to concentrate on her own health
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    Tiaan Whelpton's made a resounding statement at the International Track Meet in Christchurch More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    Two dogs have been impounded by Christchurch Council Animal Management officers and three people are in hospital after an attack in the North West More...



     Today's News

    Rugby League:
    One of the best players in the game is likely to miss the start of the NRL season 18:27

    Entertainment:
    Katie Price has suggested she is expecting a child with her new husband Lee Andrews 18:17

    Politics:
    How a window opened for IS-linked Australians to leave Syria 18:17

    Business:
    Two dogs have been impounded by Christchurch Council Animal Management officers and three people are in hospital after an attack in the North West 18:07

    Entertainment:
    Sharon Stone has unleashed a fiery takedown of society's ongoing discomfort with nudity, blasting the idea that women should hide their bodies - or be ashamed of the most basic parts of being human 17:47

    Cricket:
    To the women's one day cricket final at the Basin Reserve 17:27

    Entertainment:
    Drawings by the late Queen Elizabeth are expected to sell for thousands at auction 17:17

    Education:
    Students in Auckland's Northcote College will be learning remotely next week, due to a fire-damaged building needing to be cleared 16:57

    Entertainment:
    David Archuleta made himself homeless at the height of his fame 16:47

    Entertainment:
    Hart to Hart stars Robert Wagner and Stefanie Powers recently reunited for the former's 96th birthday 16:17


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2026 New Zealand City Ltd