News | Entertainment
21 Feb 2026 8:58
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Entertainment

    Spencer Elden has re-filed his lawsuit against Nirvana over the artwork for 'Nevermind'

    Elden - who was four months old when he was photographed naked in a swimming pool reaching out for a dollar bill on a fishing line for the band's iconic 1990 album - has reinstated his case after his initial complaint was dismissed by a judge last week.


    He has claimed the photo constitutes child pornography, and he filed papers on Wednesday (12.01.22) which ensured he met the judge's deadline to reinstate the case.

    Elden's initial case was thrown out after the 30 year old failed to respond after Nirvana and their co-defendants filed a motion to dismiss.

    In his amended complaint, Elden is no longer claiming the creation of the picture entailed his sex trafficking when he was a baby.

    However, he is still alleging that the band "intentionally" marketed a picture which constitutes "child pornography".

    Meanwhile, his lawyers have included a statement from art director Robert Fisher - who worked on the cover and was named in the original lawsuit before being dropped as a defendant on December 22 - as he claimed he advised the band and record label that the the baby's genitalia could be digitally removed.

    Fisher's statement also features an early mock-up of the 'Nevermind'

    cover, which uses a stock image of a different baby without their genitalia exposed.

    Elden's lawyers alleged: "Like creators of other controversial album covers, the defendants sought to garner attention by using a sexually explicit image that intentionally focused on Spencer's carefully positioned enlarged genitals."

    Elden is calling for damages of at least $150,000 from each defendant - including surviving band members Dave Grohl and Krist Novoselic, as well as Kurt Cobain's widow Courtney Love and photographer Kirk Weddle, and record labels Geffen and Universal Music.

    Nirvana's lawyers had filed to dismiss and said the 30-year-old's arguments - including claims the artwork caused him "extreme and permanent emotional distress" plus loss of wages and "enjoyment of life"

    - lacked merit.

    They added: "Elden's claim that the photograph on the Nevermind album cover is 'child pornography' is, on its face, not serious."

    They said that anyone owning a copy of the record would "on Elden's theory [be] guilty of felony possession of child pornography".

    Their lawyers continued: "He has re-enacted the photograph in exchange for a fee, many times; he has had the album title... tattooed across his chest; he has appeared on a talk show wearing a self-parodying, nude-colored onesie; he has autographed copies of the album cover for sale on eBay; and he has used the connection to try to pick up women."

    Now, the defendants have until January 27 to respond to the latest complaint.

    © 2026 Bang Showbiz, NZCity

     Other Entertainment News
     21 Feb: Margaret Qualley has made Jack Antonoff less "cynical"
     21 Feb: Paris Hilton and Carter Reum have renewed their wedding vows
     21 Feb: Shia LaBeouf has been arrested in New Orleans following an alleged altercation during Mardi Gras celebrations
     21 Feb: James and Kimberly Van Der Beek renewed their wedding vows days before the actor died
     21 Feb: Jelly Roll and wife Bunnie Xo want to have twins via a surrogate in the future
     21 Feb: All Saints stars Natalie Appleton and Nicole Appleton have revealed the truth behind their band's feud with rival '90s girl group the Spice Girls - they secretly were all friends
     20 Feb: President Donald Trump has remembered the late Jesse Jackson as "a good man, with lots of personality, grit, and street smarts" - and claimed he "could not stand" Barack Obama
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    A positive update after a scary moment for skier Fin Melville Ives at the Winter Olympics More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    Central Otago is today moving to a prohibited fire season More...



     Today's News

    Entertainment:
    Margaret Qualley has made Jack Antonoff less "cynical" 8:47

    Soccer:
    Satisfaction for the Phoenix women after salvaging a point from their last game in football's A-League before the latest international break 8:36

    Entertainment:
    Paris Hilton and Carter Reum have renewed their wedding vows 8:17

    International:
    Donald Trump says he's considering a limited military strike on Iran to pile on the pressure for a nuclear deal 8:16

    General:
    To the Winter Olympics in Livigno.. 8:06

    Rugby:
    A positive update after a scary moment for skier Fin Melville Ives at the Winter Olympics 7:56

    Law and Order:
    Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's future uncertain under monarch willing to let 'the law take its course' 7:56

    Entertainment:
    Shia LaBeouf has been arrested in New Orleans following an alleged altercation during Mardi Gras celebrations 7:47

    Business:
    Central Otago is today moving to a prohibited fire season 7:46

    Business:
    Paintings, sculptures and murals will be on display on Auckland's waterfront over the next month 7:36


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2026 New Zealand City Ltd