News | International
30 Aug 2025 6:53
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > International

    Israeli troops retrieve bodies of two hostages held in Gaza

    The bodies of two Israeli hostages have been retrieved from Gaza.


    The bodies of two Israeli hostages held in Gaza have been retrieved by Israeli troops in the war ravaged strip.

    One of the bodies recovered by the IDF was Ilan Weiss, who was abducted from Kibbutz Be'eri on October 7 2023.

    Weiss, 55, was kidnapped from his home and killed during the October 7, 2023, cross-border attack by Hamas, the Israeli military said.

    His wife, Shiri, and daughter, Noga, were also abducted and later released as part of a hostage-prisoner swap deal in November 2023.

    With Weiss's body recovered, Israel says 49 hostages remain in Gaza, of whom only 20 are believed to be alive.

    The identity of the other remains are yet to be revealed, with the body being examined at the National Forensics Centre in Tel Aviv.

    "The campaign to return the hostages continues continuously. We will not rest or be silent until we return all of our hostages home — both the living and the dead," Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said.

    On October 7, 2023, around 1,200 people were killed and 251 were taken hostage during the Hamas-led attack on southern Israel, according to Israeli authorities.

    Israel's military campaign in Gaza has killed more than 62,000 Palestinians, according to health officials.

    The war has displaced nearly the entire population of Gaza, devastated infrastructure, and triggered a humanitarian crisis.

    The Israeli Hostages Families Forum has urged Mr Netanyahu's government to negotiate for a ceasefire and a hostage release deal to bring the remaining captives home.

    "We call on the Israeli government to enter negotiations and stay at the table until every last hostage comes home. Time is running out for the hostages. Time is running out for the people of Israel who carry this burden," it said in a statement.

    Earlier on Friday, the Israeli military announced it had ended so-called humanitarian pauses in fighting in Gaza City, put in place weeks ago to allow for aid to enter the area.

    The move comes ahead of a mission to capture and occupy the major population hub intensifying, likely displacing hundreds of thousands of Palestinians in the process.

    In the past, Israel has called Gaza City a Hamas stronghold, with a network of tunnels that remain in use by militants after several previous large-scale raids.

    The city is also home to some of the territory's critical infrastructure and health facilities. 

    The United Nations said on Thursday the besieged strip could lose half of its hospital bed capacity if Israel invades it as planned.

    The suspension of the pause also comes one week after the world's leading food security authority declared Gaza City was being gripped by famine after months of warnings.

    The Integrated Food Security Phase Classification said hunger has been driven by fighting and Israel's blockade on the majority of aid and magnified by widespread displacement and the collapse of food production.

    Norwegian Refugee Council, which coordinates a coalition of aid groups active in Gaza, said Israel's preparation for its large-scale ground offensive has made deliveries challenging.

    "We have faced unprecedented access and movement restrictions," spokesperson Shaina Low said on Friday. 

    "Intensified military operations are going to further hinder our ability to respond."

    UNRWA, the UN agency for Palestinian refugees, said the looming offensive could further displace one million people, including many who were previously displaced.

    "Any further escalation would deepen suffering and push more people toward catastrophe," the agency said in a post on X.

    Reuters/AP/ABC

    © 2025 ABC Australian Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved

     Other International News
     29 Aug: Indonesia's democracy faces 'setback' after police clash with protesters
     29 Aug: Zelenskyy says you can't hold an election during a war. Is this true?
     29 Aug: The most common issues these sex therapists see
     29 Aug: Daria Kasatkina fights through cramps to advance at US Open as Jannik Sinner downs Alexei Popyrin
     29 Aug: NZ police release CCTV footage believed to show fugitive Tom Phillips and one of his children
     29 Aug: How Taylor Swift's engagement collides with her discography of heartbreak
     29 Aug: PNG electricity company owes $1.5 billion, including millions to Australian-backed development fund
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    A potential remedy to one of the All Blacks' Achilles heels in 20-25 is back on the rugby field this weekend More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    Reserve Bank Chair Neil Quigley has resigned More...



     Today's News

    Entertainment:
    Daisy Edgar-Jones is determined to "help encourage new voices" in the acting world 6:46

    Rugby League:
    The Warriors' NRL top four hopes have taken a hit following a 26-22 loss to the Eels at Mt Smart 6:37

    Entertainment:
    Victoria Beckham has battled "bad" skin "throughout her entire life" 6:16

    Rugby:
    A potential remedy to one of the All Blacks' Achilles heels in 20-25 is back on the rugby field this weekend 21:57

    Entertainment:
    Travis Kelce kept his proposal to Taylor Swift traditional by asking for her father's blessing before popping the question 21:46

    Law and Order:
    A teenager has been charged with murder, after the death of a man on Trigg Avenue in Rotorua last Wednesday 21:17

    Entertainment:
    Kristin Cavallari felt like her vagina was "ripping apart" during the "brutal" birth of her first child 21:16

    Law and Order:
    Indonesia's democracy faces 'setback' after police clash with protesters 20:47

    Entertainment:
    Denise Richards "can't wait for bikini season" after undergoing breast implant revision surgery 20:46

    Entertainment:
    Actor Floyd Levine has died aged 93 20:16


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2025 New Zealand City Ltd