News | Entertainment
22 Feb 2026 23:20
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Entertainment

    Sir Elton John will continue his tour - despite having walking pneumonia

    The 'I'm Still Standing' hitmaker was forced to halt his gig in Auckland, New Zealand, over the weekend after he lost his voice mid-way through his performance but, despite his on-going health battle, he has no plans to cancel the remaining dates of his 'Farewell' tour in Australia and New Zealand


    A statement from promoters Chugg Entertainment was released on Monday (17.02.20) and said: "At this stage, all remaining shows will go ahead as planned.

    "Elton John was disappointed and deeply upset at having to end his Auckland concert early last night."

    The 72-year-old singer disappointed the audience at Mount Smart Stadium on Sunday night (16.02.20) when he told fans he had to leave the stage.

    He said: "I've just completely lost my voice. I can't sing. I've got to go. I'm sorry."

    He later took to Instagram to post an emotional statement, revealing he had been diagnosed with walking pneumonia - an informal term for pneumonia that isn't severe enough to require bed rest or hospitalisation - earlier in the day but had been "determined" to get on stage and sing for his fans.

    He wrote on Instagram: "I want to thank everyone who attended tonight's gig in Auckland. I was diagnosed with walking pneumonia earlier today, but I was determined to give you the best show humanly possible. I played and sang my heart out, until my voice could sing no more. I'm disappointed, deeply upset and sorry. I gave it all I had. Thank-you so much for your extraordinary support and all the love you showed me during tonight's performance. I am eternally grateful. Love, Elton xx (sic)"

    Elton has had a number of health scares over the years and had previously revealed he was "24 hours from death" when he contracted an infection after surgery for prostate cancer back in 2017, where fluid was leaking from his lymph nodes.

    He said: "I was incredibly lucky - although, I have to say, I didn't feel terribly lucky at the time. I lay awake all night, wondering if I was going to die. In the hospital, alone at the dead of night, I'd prayed: Please don't let me die, please let me see my kids again, please give me a little longer ... They took a sample of the infection ... it was much more serious than they'd first realised. There were MRI scans and God knows how many other procedures. The doctors told David I was 24 hours away from death. If the South American tour had gone on for another day that would have been it: brown bread.'"

    Elton is due to play two more shows in Auckland this week, before he will return to Australia to kickstart another round of gigs from February 22.

    © 2026 Bang Showbiz, NZCity

     Other Entertainment News
     22 Feb: James Van Der Beek was a "great leader on set", according to Algee Smith
     22 Feb: Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor has been "released under investigation"
     22 Feb: Khloe Kardashian would "want to be married" before having any more kids
     22 Feb: Timothee Chalamet thinks AI is set to change the movie business
     22 Feb: Hailey Bieber has found fame to be "mentally exhausting"
     22 Feb: Andrew Windsor has been slammed as "never a prince" by Virginia Giuffre's family
     22 Feb: Paddington Bear is set to bring a marmalade-tinted flourish to this weekend's EE BAFTA Film Awards after being confirmed as a presenter at the ceremony
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    The Crusaders have been demolished by the Brumbies 50-24 in Christchurch to close out the second week of Super Rugby More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    Fifteen years on from the devastating Christchurch earthquake, belief light may finally be at the end of the tunnel More...



     Today's News

    Auckland:
    Citybound lanes on Auckland's North-Western motorway have now reopened following a two-vehicle crash 22:07

    Entertainment:
    James Van Der Beek was a "great leader on set", according to Algee Smith 21:47

    Motoring:
    There are serious injuries after a crash between a car and cyclist in Christchurch's Sumner 21:17

    Entertainment:
    Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor has been "released under investigation" 21:17

    Entertainment:
    Khloe Kardashian would "want to be married" before having any more kids 20:47

    Entertainment:
    Timothee Chalamet thinks AI is set to change the movie business 20:17

    Entertainment:
    Hailey Bieber has found fame to be "mentally exhausting" 19:47

    International:
    Why has Donald Trump issued Keir Starmer a warning about the Chagos Islands? 19:37

    Entertainment:
    Andrew Windsor has been slammed as "never a prince" by Virginia Giuffre's family 19:17

    Law and Order:
    Police are asking for public help to find John Joseph Paparoa, who is wanted in relation to dishonesty, assault and firearm-related offending 18:57


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2026 New Zealand City Ltd