News | Entertainment
21 Feb 2026 13:05
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Entertainment

    Prince William has withdrawn from the BAFTA Awards on Sunday (11.04.21)

    The 38-year-old royal was due to deliver a speech at the annual awards show, via a video link, but he has withdrawn from the event following the passing of Prince Philip


    Prince William was set to speak about the resilience of the British film industry amid the coronavirus pandemic.

    The Duke of Edinburgh was actually BAFTA’s first-ever president, between 1959 and 1965, and he continued to support the organisation throughout his life.

    And after Prince Philip's passing was confirmed by Buckingham Palace on Friday (09.04.21), the organisation released a statement to express its sympathies.

    BAFTA said: "We are deeply saddened by the death of His Royal Highness Prince Philip, The Duke of Edinburgh, whose close association with the Academy spanned over 60 years.

    "HRH The Duke of Edinburgh became the organisation's first president in 1959, one year after the British Film Academy and the Guild of Television Producers and Directors merged to create the Society of Film and Television Arts, a forerunner of BAFTA. The Duke represented the Society until 1965 and presented awards at ceremonies during this period."

    The statement later added: "The Duke occupies a special place in the Academy’s history and will be missed enormously.

    "Our thoughts are with the royal family, to whom we offer our deepest sympathy."

    Meanwhile, a source has claimed that Prince Philip wanted to die "in his own bed" and "on his own terms".

    The royal - who passed away at Windsor Castle at the age of 99 - spent almost a month in hospital earlier this year, where he was treated for an infection and a heart condition.

    The insider said: "He spent most of the four weeks he was in hospital trying to get home. They operated on his heart in a bid to give him a little longer, maybe with the 100th birthday in mind. But he didn't really care about that.

    "There is no way he would have wanted to die in hospital."

    © 2026 Bang Showbiz, NZCity

     Other Entertainment News
     21 Feb: Gordon Ramsay's "torrid relationship" with his father has inspired him to be a better dad
     21 Feb: Tommy Lee Jones' daughter, Victoria, died from the toxic effects of cocaine
     21 Feb: Rumer Willis has claimed she works four jobs to provide for her little girl
     21 Feb: Shia LaBeouf has been accused of assaulting two men in a bar fight
     21 Feb: James Van Der Beek is unlikely to have had a "piece of the profit" from Dawson's Creek
     21 Feb: Gina Carano is set to face Ronda Rousey in a mixed martial arts fight
     21 Feb: Miley Cyrus feels "very proud" of Hannah Montana
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    Some of the country's best track and field talent will be on show in Christchurch this afternoon as the city hosts it's annual International Track Meet More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    A economist says New Zealanders appear to have gotten a spending hangover More...



     Today's News

    Entertainment:
    Gordon Ramsay's "torrid relationship" with his father has inspired him to be a better dad 12:47

    Living & Travel:
    Some of the country's best track and field talent will be on show in Christchurch this afternoon as the city hosts it's annual International Track Meet 12:26

    Entertainment:
    Tommy Lee Jones' daughter, Victoria, died from the toxic effects of cocaine 12:17

    Cricket:
    Spinner Adam Zampa's rejecting any suggestion the Australia men's cricket team don't value the T20 format of the game 11:56

    Entertainment:
    Rumer Willis has claimed she works four jobs to provide for her little girl 11:47

    General:
    Winter Olympics 2026: Lindsey Vonn goes 'bionic' as the curling war of words continues — day 14 quick hits 11:26

    Entertainment:
    Shia LaBeouf has been accused of assaulting two men in a bar fight 11:17

    Law and Order:
    Four teenagers have been charged by New South Wales Police over the drive-by shooting of former NRL player Matt Utai in Sydney 11:06

    Entertainment:
    James Van Der Beek is unlikely to have had a "piece of the profit" from Dawson's Creek 10:47

    Law and Order:
    Auckland Council says current dog control laws are reactive - not preventative 10:46


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2026 New Zealand City Ltd