News | Entertainment
22 Feb 2026 16:28
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Entertainment

    Spencer Elden has re-filed his lawsuit against Nirvana over the artwork for 'Nevermind'

    Elden - who was four months old when he was photographed naked in a swimming pool reaching out for a dollar bill on a fishing line for the band's iconic 1990 album - has reinstated his case after his initial complaint was dismissed by a judge last week.


    He has claimed the photo constitutes child pornography, and he filed papers on Wednesday (12.01.22) which ensured he met the judge's deadline to reinstate the case.

    Elden's initial case was thrown out after the 30 year old failed to respond after Nirvana and their co-defendants filed a motion to dismiss.

    In his amended complaint, Elden is no longer claiming the creation of the picture entailed his sex trafficking when he was a baby.

    However, he is still alleging that the band "intentionally" marketed a picture which constitutes "child pornography".

    Meanwhile, his lawyers have included a statement from art director Robert Fisher - who worked on the cover and was named in the original lawsuit before being dropped as a defendant on December 22 - as he claimed he advised the band and record label that the the baby's genitalia could be digitally removed.

    Fisher's statement also features an early mock-up of the 'Nevermind'

    cover, which uses a stock image of a different baby without their genitalia exposed.

    Elden's lawyers alleged: "Like creators of other controversial album covers, the defendants sought to garner attention by using a sexually explicit image that intentionally focused on Spencer's carefully positioned enlarged genitals."

    Elden is calling for damages of at least $150,000 from each defendant - including surviving band members Dave Grohl and Krist Novoselic, as well as Kurt Cobain's widow Courtney Love and photographer Kirk Weddle, and record labels Geffen and Universal Music.

    Nirvana's lawyers had filed to dismiss and said the 30-year-old's arguments - including claims the artwork caused him "extreme and permanent emotional distress" plus loss of wages and "enjoyment of life"

    - lacked merit.

    They added: "Elden's claim that the photograph on the Nevermind album cover is 'child pornography' is, on its face, not serious."

    They said that anyone owning a copy of the record would "on Elden's theory [be] guilty of felony possession of child pornography".

    Their lawyers continued: "He has re-enacted the photograph in exchange for a fee, many times; he has had the album title... tattooed across his chest; he has appeared on a talk show wearing a self-parodying, nude-colored onesie; he has autographed copies of the album cover for sale on eBay; and he has used the connection to try to pick up women."

    Now, the defendants have until January 27 to respond to the latest complaint.

    © 2026 Bang Showbiz, NZCity

     Other Entertainment News
     22 Feb: Jason Bateman came close to quitting Hollywood to fulfil his dream of opening a cafe in Europe
     22 Feb: Odessa A'zion has insisted the "last thing" she ever wants to do is "offend anybody"
     22 Feb: Jennifer Garner's children think she is "fully cringe"
     22 Feb: The Nancy Guthrie reward money has been doubled as the search for Savannah Guthrie's missing mom continues
     22 Feb: Romeo Beckham has added fuel to his brother Brooklyn's family feud, by "liking" an Instagram video claiming Nicola Peltz is "the problem"
     22 Feb: Brandi Glanville has finally discovered the cause of the facial disfiguration which aged her "20 years overnight"
     22 Feb: Hilary Duff has taken up crocheting because she needed to "do something" with her hands after her concerts
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    Carlos Alcaraz has cruised past Arthur Fils 6-2 6-1 to win the Qatar Open and extend his perfect start to the year More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    Fifteen years on from the devastating Christchurch earthquake, belief light may finally be at the end of the tunnel More...



     Today's News

    Soccer:
    Former All Whites goalkeeper Jacob Spoonley hopes the Wellington Phoenix are supporting their glovesman Josh Oluwayemi  16:17

    Motorsports:
    Matt Payne has been unable to back up his provisional qualifying effort in the Top10 shootout for the final race of the Supercars weekend in Sydney 16:17

    Entertainment:
    Jason Bateman came close to quitting Hollywood to fulfil his dream of opening a cafe in Europe 16:17

    International:
    After a rare Supreme Court loss for Trump, here's his record with the bench 16:07

    Entertainment:
    Odessa A'zion has insisted the "last thing" she ever wants to do is "offend anybody" 15:47

    Cricket:
    New Zealand's T20 World Cup cricket clash against Pakistan in Colombo may have been rained out...but it's still a milestone match for Daryl Mitchell 15:27

    Entertainment:
    Jennifer Garner's children think she is "fully cringe" 15:17

    Rugby:
    Carlos Alcaraz has cruised past Arthur Fils 6-2 6-1 to win the Qatar Open and extend his perfect start to the year 14:57

    Accident and Emergency:
    Two people have died and another three are in a critical condition, after a two-vehicle crash on State Highway 1 in Marlborough 14:47

    Entertainment:
    The Nancy Guthrie reward money has been doubled as the search for Savannah Guthrie's missing mom continues 14:47


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2026 New Zealand City Ltd