News | Entertainment
20 Feb 2026 13:36
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Entertainment

    Prince Charles has expressed his "personal sorrow" about "slavery's enduring impact"

    The 73-year-old prince addressed the issue during the opening of the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting in Rwanda, where he also called on other Commonwealth leaders not to ignore the impact of slavery


    In a speech in Kigali on Friday (24.06.22), Charles said: "To unlock the power of our common future, we must also acknowledge the wrongs which have shaped our past. Many of those wrongs belong to an earlier age with different, and in some ways lesser, values."

    The future monarch - who has been acting as de facto head of the Commonwealth as the Queen no longer travels overseas - told leaders that he wants to acknowledge that "roots of our contemporary association run deep into the most painful period of our history".

    He added during his speech: "I cannot describe the depths of my personal sorrow at the suffering of so many, as I continue to deepen my own understanding of slavery's enduring impact."

    In March, Prince William - Charles' eldest son - spoke of his "profound sorrow" over slavery during a speech at a dinner in Jamaica.

    The 40-year-old prince described slavery as abhorrent and acknowledged that it "forever stains our history".

    He added: "While the pain runs deep, Jamaica continues to forge its future with determination, courage and fortitude."

    Earlier this week, William also conceded that discrimination remains "an all too familiar experience" for black men and women in Britain.

    What's more, the prince spoke out against the Windrush Scandal, which involved the wrongful deportation of members of the Windrush generation, who migrated to the country after World War Two.

    William said: "Only a matter of years ago, tens of thousands of that generation were profoundly wronged by the Windrush Scandal. That rightly reverberates throughout the Caribbean community here in the UK as well as many in the Caribbean nations.

    "Therefore, alongside celebrating the diverse fabric of our families, our communities and our society as a whole - something the Windrush Generation has contributed so much to - it is also important to acknowledge the ways in which the future they sought and deserved has yet to come to pass."

    © 2026 Bang Showbiz, NZCity

     Other Entertainment News
     20 Feb: Meaghan Oppenheimer has revealed Tell Me Lies is ending at the "perfect" time
     19 Feb: Jane Seymour felt privileged to work with Robert Duvall
     19 Feb: Logan Paul has sold a Pokemon trading card for $16.5 million
     19 Feb: Sir Sam Mendes has "no outlet" during a film shoot
     19 Feb: Walton Goggins has hailed Robert Duvall as the "greatest storyteller of all time"
     19 Feb: Daniel Radcliffe is "always taking care" of Tracy Morgan
     19 Feb: Viola Davis was "in awe" of Robert Duvall when they worked together
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    A Sky Sport Now subscription's about to become more costly More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    Fonterra is raising its forecast payout to farmers, following the latest rise in global dairy prices More...



     Today's News

    International:
    Donald Trump hosts first 'Board of Peace' meeting with new pledges for Gaza 13:27

    Politics:
    A Waikato teacher's been censured after being caught drinking wine from a drink bottle while on lunch duty 13:27

    Entertainment:
    Meaghan Oppenheimer has revealed Tell Me Lies is ending at the "perfect" time 13:17

    Golf:
    To golf's PGA Tour .. 13:07

    Education:
    A fire's broken out at Auckland's Northcote College, as firefighters strike 13:07

    Rugby League:
    A blow for the Sydney Roosters for their NRL league season-opener away against the New Zealand Warriors on March 6 12:57

    Athletics:
    Pole vaulter Imogen Ayris' continues to leap the highest in her career, this time at an indoor athletics meet in France 11:57

    Law and Order:
    What we know about ex-prince Andrew's arrest on suspicion of misconduct in public office 11:57

    Rugby League:
    Super League champions Hull Kingston Rovers have held off the NRL-winning Brisbane Broncos 30-24 in league's World Club Challenge 11:57

    Politics:
    Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor released under investigation after almost 10 hours in custody 11:27


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2026 New Zealand City Ltd