Myanmar's ruling military has announced a temporary ceasefire against rebel groups across the country following last week's devastating earthquake that has now killed more than 3,000 people.
State-run media reported that the army wouldn't undertake operations against armed opponents between April 2 and April 22.
In a statement, the military said the decision was made "with the aim of speeding up relief and reconstruction efforts, and maintaining peace and stability."
The number of people killed by Friday's 7.7-magnitude earthquake has risen to 3,003, with more than 4,500 others injured according to state-run media.
The military's call comes after other rebel groups, which had been fighting the military since it ousted the democratically-elected government in 2021, unilaterally announced their own ceasefires in recent days.
The temporary peace call in the bloody civil war comes after days of pressure from international aid and humanitarian groups, which have said a ceasefire is critical to delivering aid to those in need.
Myanmar's military junta admitted to firing warning shots at a Chinese Red Cross aid convoy on Wednesday, saying the group hadn't told them they were operating in a combat zone.
In the days following the earthquake, as people searched for loved ones, the military was also accused of continuing air strikes in the country.
Locals have also accused the military of hampering aid efforts in the days following the disaster.
The full extent of damage in the country remained unclear, with many areas without power, telephone or internet connections, and are difficult to reach by road.
Aid groups are concerned about a growing hunger crisis in the country, saying food, clean water and medicines are urgently needed.
Most of the damage caused by the earthquake has centred around the country's two major cities, Mandalay, and the capital Naypyidaw, but more reports are slowly emerging of significant damage elsewhere.
In Singu township, about 65 kilometres north of Mandalay, 27 gold miners were killed in a cave-in, the independent Democratic Voice of Burma reported.
Junta leader going to Thailand
Despite the massive ongoing relief efforts, state media reported that junta chief Min Aung Hlaing was travelling to Thailand on Thursday for a meeting of South Asian leaders.
MRTV reported that he would brief leaders in Bangkok about recovery and rebuilding efforts after the earthquake.
Leaders from Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Myanmar, Nepal, Sri Lanka and Thailand will be at the conference.
His attendance at the summit is something of a diplomatic coup for the isolated government, as it breaks with a regional policy of not inviting junta leaders to major events since the military seized power in 2021.
The Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) regional bloc has not invited him to its gatherings since he took power.
ABC/wires