News | Entertainment
29 Nov 2025 14:20
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Entertainment

    John Cena didn't want an entire "tribute show" for his WWE retirement

    The 48-year-old wrestling legend turned Hollywood actor will end his WWE career on December 13 with his final ever match at Saturday Night's Main Event, and the show will highlight the superstars of the future, with talent from the company's developmental brand NXT getting to face the best of Raw and SmackDown.


    Speaking on this week's Raw Recap podcast, John said: "I really want to take my hats off to Triple H, I called him up, I said, 'I got an idea.

    "'We got to do two hours for the tribute show, and if you do a whole John Cena tribute, two things are going to happen. You're either going to do too much or too little.

    "'You're never going to please everybody. I would like to propose that we have big name WWE Superstars fight in exhibition matches versus the brightest in NXT so that way we have a sold out building.' "

    The 17-time world champion - who also currently holds the Intercontinental Title - insisted his retirement show will be a peek into the future for wrestling fans.

    He added: "Hopefully the world's watching on Saturday Night's Main Event.

    "I get to wrestle one final time, but in doing that, everyone also gets to look at what to look forward to. And I think that's the most important thing.

    "Yes, it's that's my last match, but collectively we're all just kind of closing a chapter of an era in sports entertainment. I want people to be able to look forward to what's next."

    His final opponent is being decided by WWE's ongoing The Last Time Is Now tournament, which features the likes of GUNTHER, Solo Sikoa, LA Knight, Carmelo Hayes and Bronson Reed.

    Reflecting on the idea behind the tournament and his last show, John said: "Forever, the tradition has been your last match, you go out on your back [losing] and you do the honours and that's it.

    "No, I think we can do more. We can take the eyes that care about showing up to our show and expose them to the future and what's next.

    "I love The Time Is Now tournament, that we have some way to earn the chance to be to qualify as my last opponent."

    © 2025 Bang Showbiz, NZCity

     Other Entertainment News
     29 Nov: A huge blaze ripped through Usain Bolt's Jamaican restaurant on Saturday (22.11.25), leaving it severely damaged
     29 Nov: Clive Owen thinks actors should not chase top roles to get their big break
     29 Nov: Eva Longoria says becoming a mom at 43 was "perfect timing"
     29 Nov: Donald Glover has revealed he suffered a stroke last year
     29 Nov: Machine Gun Kelly made a shock confession about his sex life as he performed at the Las Vegas Grand Prix this week
     29 Nov: Sydney Sweeney says women, including herself, find it hard to ask for help as they don't want to be viewed as "weak"
     29 Nov: Charli xcx admits being a "pop star" is "fun" - but it's also "stupid" and "embarrassing" at times
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    Ryan Papenhuyzen and Zac Lomax are free to return to rugby league's NRL after rebel rugby union competition R360 pushed back their planned launch by two years - until 2028 More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    Changes to regional councils could create debate about what to do with the assets they own More...



     Today's News

    Environment:
    South-East Asia flood deaths rise as Cyclone Ditwah hits Sri Lanka, heads towards southern India 14:17

    Entertainment:
    A huge blaze ripped through Usain Bolt's Jamaican restaurant on Saturday (22.11.25), leaving it severely damaged 14:08

    Motorsports:
    Ryan Wood has qualified fastest for the top 10 shootout ahead of today's second race at the Supercars grand final in Adelaide 14:06

    Environment:
    Severe weather warnings for the southern, and central regions of the country tomorrow 13:46

    Entertainment:
    Clive Owen thinks actors should not chase top roles to get their big break 13:38

    Christchurch:
    A person's died, after being pulled unresponsive from the water in Canterbury's Glenbrook 13:26

    Entertainment:
    Eva Longoria says becoming a mom at 43 was "perfect timing" 13:08

    Business:
    Changes to regional councils could create debate about what to do with the assets they own 13:07

    Living & Travel:
    Some Jetstar flights grounded due to global recall of Airbus A320 planes 13:07

    Rugby:
    Ryan Papenhuyzen and Zac Lomax are free to return to rugby league's NRL after rebel rugby union competition R360 pushed back their planned launch by two years - until 2028 13:07


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2025 New Zealand City Ltd