News | Entertainment
17 Feb 2026 13:31
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Entertainment

    Tom Selleck missed out on playing Indiana Jones when his 'Magnum, P.I.' show took off

    The 79-year-old actor read for the lead role of Dr Henry Walton 'Indiana' Jones in Steven Spielberg's 1981 blockbuster when he was waiting to hear if his detective show pilot was going to be picked up


    He said in his new autobiography 'You Never Know: A Memoir' about the twists and turns of his years in showbiz: "It is really the story of an accidental career.

    "I'd never taken an acting class. I had no training, no desire.

    "(Acting) is a lot about failing, endless failures. If you're going to get in the acting business, you better get an appetite for it.

    "And I tried to communicate that... because it was kind of a long road."

    He said in his book he read for the part of Indiana - which was taken by now 81-year-old Harrison Ford - in front of director Steven, 77, and its 79-year-old 'Star Wars' creator writer George Lucas.

    Tom added about his audition for 'Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark': "When I walked into the room for the audition, it was just those two guys: Steven Spielberg and George Lucas. I didn't feel particularly nervous.

    "I was a big 'Star Wars' fan, so I'm certain I brought that up. On my drive home, I thought, 'Boy, that was pretty cool, no pressure, and having a face-to-face with two people whose work I love.'

    "And what a great diversion it was from my preoccupation with the outcome of my ('Magnum, P.I.') pilot."

    Tom said he was handed Indiana's "hat and leather jacket" during his reading which he said "helped me understand the period".

    He went on: "When I drove home, my head was full of thoughts: 'They're testing a lot of people, What if 'Magnum' sells? What if it doesn't sell? This is the lead in the next big franchise after 'Star Wars', so the process is going to be a long one.' So many good things were presenting themselves."

    Tom said Steven then gave him the Indiana role on the phone - and gave him a script which the actor said he thought was "terrific".

    He added: "I sat down and turned over the title page. Around page eight my guard just dissolved: 'Oh... this is terrific.

    "It was the part where Indy is being chased by a huge round boulder rolling down the hill after him.

    "I was reminded of when I rode my bike to the La Reina Theatre on Ventura Boulevard in Sherman Oaks and watched the Saturday-matinee movie serials for 25 cents. And, of course, it reminded me of the crawl at the beginning of 'Star Wars'."

    Tom was apparently left "heartbroken" when 'Magnum' was then picked up and its maker wouldn't release him from his contract to play Indiana.

    Harrison's co-star in 'Raiders', Karen Allen, 72, previously told Variety: "Tom Selleck had been cast, and then it turned out 'Magnum, P.I.' got picked up. "They wouldn't let him out of his contract, and so he was heartbroken. I only know that way after the fact because I sat with him many years later and he told me how heartbroken he was."

    © 2026 Bang Showbiz, NZCity

     Other Entertainment News
     17 Feb: Travis Kelce feels emotional about the prospect of the Kansas City Chiefs moving from their current stadium
     17 Feb: Jane Fonda lies in bed imagining what she would say to President Donald Trump
     17 Feb: Kaley Cuoco's fiancé Tom Pelphrey has never watched her hit sitcom The Big Bang Theory
     17 Feb: Jo Wood has decided to stay single for now after failing to find a suitable man on dating apps
     17 Feb: Lucy Hale has sparked engagement rumours after she was spotted wearing a ring on her left hand during a recent coffee date with Phillip Lopez in Los Angeles
     17 Feb: Margot Robbie would've "risked it all" for Lord of Rings character Aragon during her teenage years
     17 Feb: Iran's state TV airs 'forced confessions' of 'scapegoats' whose families fear could face execution
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    Irish rugby to investigate racial abuse towards Test debutant Edwin Edogbo More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    This week marks the anniversary of New Zealand's first frozen lamb shipment to the UK, 144 years ago More...



     Today's News

    Living & Travel:
    Beyond the beaches, Wellington’s catastrophic sewage spill could be bad news for coastal ecosystems 13:07

    Environment:
    Winter Olympics 2026: Eileen Gu medals despite blizzard, Ilia Malinin breaks his silence — day 10 quick hits 13:07

    Rugby League:
    The Breakers' disappointing Australian basketball league season might still result in individual accolades 13:07

    Entertainment:
    Travis Kelce feels emotional about the prospect of the Kansas City Chiefs moving from their current stadium 12:57

    Entertainment:
    Jane Fonda lies in bed imagining what she would say to President Donald Trump 12:27

    Law and Order:
    Three people ended up in Dunedin hospital on Saturday - in varying states of consciousness, hit in the head by thrown objects at a party on Castle Street 12:27

    Soccer:
    A deflating exit for the most unlikely team to feature in the fourth round of English football's FA Cup 12:07

    Entertainment:
    Kaley Cuoco's fiancé Tom Pelphrey has never watched her hit sitcom The Big Bang Theory 11:57

    Business:
    This week marks the anniversary of New Zealand's first frozen lamb shipment to the UK, 144 years ago 11:57

    Entertainment:
    Jo Wood has decided to stay single for now after failing to find a suitable man on dating apps 11:27


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2026 New Zealand City Ltd