News | International
29 Nov 2025 15:32
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > International

    FBI set to interview Democrats who urged US military to ignore illegal orders

    It comes after the six US politicians appeared in a social media video which Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth described as "seditious".


    The FBI has requested interviews with six Democrats from the US Congress who told members of the military they must refuse any illegal orders, a Justice Department official has said.

    The move, reported earlier by Fox News, comes a day after the Pentagon threatened to recall US Senator Mark Kelly, a Navy veteran and one of the six lawmakers, to active duty potentially to face military charges over what Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth described as "seditious" acts on social media.

    The Justice Department official, who spoke to Reuters on condition of anonymity, said the interviews were to determine "if there's any wrongdoing and then go from there".  

    The other politicians, who made the comments in a video released last week, include Senator Elissa Slotkin, a former CIA analyst and Iraq war veteran, and Representatives Jason Crow, Maggie Goodlander, Chris Deluzio and Chrissy Houlahan.

    Mr Trump then floated the death penalty for those six politicians on his Truth Social platform.

    The legislators created the video amid concerns from Democrats — echoed privately by some US military commanders — that the Trump administration is violating the law by ordering strikes on vessels purportedly carrying suspected drug traffickers in Latin American waters.

    [EL: Democrats video tweet]

    The Pentagon has argued the strikes are justified because the drug smugglers are considered terrorists.

    The Trump administration has also faced criticism over its decision to send National Guard troops to cities controlled by Democrats.

    In a statement on Monday, Senator Kelly dismissed the Pentagon's threat as an intimidation tactic.

    Speaking to US cable news channel MSNOW on Monday, Senator Kelly said he was "not going to be silenced" by the Pentagon's investigation nor Mr Trump's comments.

    "We wanted to do something pretty simple here," he said.

    "We wanted to just remind folks that they need to comply with the law … and also explain to members of the military that we have their backs, that we know what's going on."

    In a series of social media posts on Tuesday, Chris Deluzio accused Mr Trump of attempting to silence the Democrats through intimidation.

    "Donald Trump threatened my life because he didn't like the constitutional truths I spoke," Mr Deluzio, a former Navy officer, wrote, adding that he had received death threats as a result.

    The FBI did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

    ABC/Reuters


    ABC




    © 2025 ABC Australian Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved

     Other International News
     29 Nov: About 90 Jetstar flights disrupted due to global recall of Airbus A320 planes
     29 Nov: South-East Asia flood deaths rise as Cyclone Ditwah hits Sri Lanka, heads towards southern India
     29 Nov: Imran Khan's son and political allies concerned about his health amid block on prison visits
     29 Nov: Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky's chief of staff, has resigned following an anti-corruption raid on his home
     29 Nov: Hong Kong tower residents had safety complaints more than 12 months before deadly fires
     29 Nov: Eight arrested and 128 people dead as alarm faults confirmed in Hong Kong fire
     29 Nov: Suspect in Washington DC shooting to face murder charge after soldier Sarah Beckstrom dies
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    Ryan Papenhuyzen and Zac Lomax are free to return to rugby league's NRL after rebel rugby union competition R360 pushed back their planned launch by two years - until 2028 More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    Changes to regional councils could create debate about what to do with the assets they own More...



     Today's News

    Living & Travel:
    About 90 Jetstar flights disrupted due to global recall of Airbus A320 planes 15:27

    Soccer:
    The Wellington Phoenix men's coach is killing his opponents with kindness ahead of their next A-League outing 15:27

    Entertainment:
    Paris Hilton's animals are teaching her kids to become loving and caring people 15:08

    Motorsports:
    A disastrous qualifying session has hindered title contender Chaz Mostert dearly ahead of today's second race at the grand final event in Adelaide 14:57

    Golf:
    The third round of the Australian PGA Championship has been suspended in Brisbane due to storm activity and lightning in the area 14:57

    Entertainment:
    Derek Hough is experiencing a wave of emotions ahead of becoming a dad 14:38

    Environment:
    South-East Asia flood deaths rise as Cyclone Ditwah hits Sri Lanka, heads towards southern India 14:17

    Entertainment:
    A huge blaze ripped through Usain Bolt's Jamaican restaurant on Saturday (22.11.25), leaving it severely damaged 14:08

    Environment:
    Severe weather warnings for the southern, and central regions of the country tomorrow 13:46

    Entertainment:
    Clive Owen thinks actors should not chase top roles to get their big break 13:38


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2025 New Zealand City Ltd