News | Entertainment
20 Feb 2026 10:46
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Entertainment

    John Legend loved "bringing hip and soul together" with Kanye West during the beginning of music career

    The 'Dope' hitmaker says the 'Jesus Walks' rapper - who legally change his name to 'Ye' last year - helped him craft his work by producing songs with him for his 2004 debut 'Get Lifted' and "connecting" him other industry heavyweights, such as Rick Ross


    The 43-year-old musician told Eddie Francis on Apple Music 1 on Wednesday (18.05.22): "I've just been collaborating with so many dope artists throughout my career. I started with Kanye at G.O.O.D. Music and our whole thing was bringing hip hop and soul together. So I was on a lot of his tracks...a lot of tracks he was producing for other people...he was producing my tracks and connecting me with other people in hip hop so there's always been a lot of collaborations in my background. I've done a thousand tracks with Rick Ross, worked with so many great MCs over the years. I've just always thought collaboration was a great way to make music and when we do it together it can be better than when we do it separately. So I've just always had that spirit and that energy and I love working with dope people and we definitely did that with this album."

    John believes he has "good chemistry" with Rick - who he worked with on his new record - and how they have "similar" taste.

    He said: "We got a dope one on the new album. We got good chemistry...

    his voice and my voice, it just works well together. We like a similar type of track too.. A lush soulful track. You know... it works.

    The 'La La Land' star - who is married to 36-year-old model Chrissy Teigen with whom he has six-year-old daughter Luna and four-year-old son Miles - revealed he was "honoured" that he worked with the late Nipsey Hussle on the track 'Higher' before "we lost him too soon" in 2019 after he passed away from a gunshot wound.

    John said: "This was right before he passed away that we made the video for this, we made the song not too long before that. We shot the video right in the area where he grew up and that he had invested so much in.

    Losing him in that way after making that video in the neighbourhood that he came from and was so proud of helping and supporting. It was just so tragic. I felt so much pain for everybody who loved him. Man... We just lost him way too soon, he had so much more work to do in the world and this community particularly. It's a shame that we lost him. I'm honoured that I got to do a record with him before he died, but we lost him way too soon."

    © 2026 Bang Showbiz, NZCity

     Other Entertainment News
     19 Feb: Jane Seymour felt privileged to work with Robert Duvall
     19 Feb: Logan Paul has sold a Pokemon trading card for $16.5 million
     19 Feb: Sir Sam Mendes has "no outlet" during a film shoot
     19 Feb: Walton Goggins has hailed Robert Duvall as the "greatest storyteller of all time"
     19 Feb: Daniel Radcliffe is "always taking care" of Tracy Morgan
     19 Feb: Viola Davis was "in awe" of Robert Duvall when they worked together
     19 Feb: Joshua Bassett's memoir is the "most vulnerable" he's ever been
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    A Sky Sport Now subscription's about to become more costly More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    Fonterra's announced an extra dividend for farmers - as it pushes ahead with the sale of its consumer arm More...



     Today's News

    Business:
    Fonterra's announced an extra dividend for farmers - as it pushes ahead with the sale of its consumer arm 10:27

    National:
    Why Michelangelo’s ‘Last Judgment’ endures 10:07

    International:
    Donald Trump suggests a decision on Iran is likely within 10 days 10:07

    Business:
    Confidence among Auckland businesses has surged to its highest level since 2022, according to the latest survey from the Auckland Business Chamber 10:07

    Law and Order:
    What we know about ex-prince Andrew's arrest on suspicion of misconduct in public office 9:27

    Law and Order:
    A man's been arrested in Hamilton, allegedly stealing tools worth more than 44-thousand dollars 9:27

    National:
    More women are professors, but gender gaps continue to plague NZ universities 8:27

    Law and Order:
    Three men will appear in court today, following a gang-related altercation in Christchurch's Northcote  8:17

    Education:
    Why the ‘Streets of Minneapolis’ have echoed with public support – unlike the campus of Kent State in 1970 8:17

    Business:
    An urban planning specialist is advising the government to be careful changing a development plan he believes was already working 8:17


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2026 New Zealand City Ltd