News | Entertainment
20 Feb 2026 11:28
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Entertainment

    Richard E Grant didn't want to catch COVID-19 from Prince Charles

    The 64-year-old actor raised eyebrows when he wore protective rubber gloves to meet the 72-year-old royal at the Prince's Trust And TK Maxx & Homesense Awards at London Palladium on March 11 last year but he has revealed he did so because he had been advised by a medical professional to protect himself from the potentially deadly virus that has swept the globe over the last year and a half


    Speaking to the Radio Times magazine, he said: 'I’ve been vigilant about it. [COVID] I’m not a hypochondriac, by any means, I’ve just been careful. Another (New York party) guest, who was in the medical profession, said, 'Get face masks and gloves.'

    "So I got a whole box and when I came back to England wore them wherever I went."

    Detailing the reaction he got from onlookers when he met Prince Charles, Richard added: "Someone said, 'What the hell are you doing [shaking his hand with gloves on]?' But I didn’t want to catch it."

    Prince Charles later revealed that he had caught Coronavirus - just days after he had appeared at the event - but was only experiencing "mild symptoms."

    A statement said at the time: "The Prince of Wales has tested positive for coronavirus. He has been displaying mild symptoms but otherwise remains in good health and has been working from home throughout the last few days as usual.

    "The Duchess of Cornwall has also been tested but does not have the virus. In accordance with government and medical advice, the Prince and the Duchess are now self-isolating at home in Scotland.

    "The tests were carried out by the NHS in Aberdeenshire where they met the criteria required for testing. It is not possible to ascertain from whom the Prince caught the virus owing to the high number of engagements he carried out in his public role during recent weeks."

    Prince Charles made a full recovery.

    © 2026 Bang Showbiz, NZCity

     Other Entertainment News
     19 Feb: Jane Seymour felt privileged to work with Robert Duvall
     19 Feb: Logan Paul has sold a Pokemon trading card for $16.5 million
     19 Feb: Sir Sam Mendes has "no outlet" during a film shoot
     19 Feb: Walton Goggins has hailed Robert Duvall as the "greatest storyteller of all time"
     19 Feb: Daniel Radcliffe is "always taking care" of Tracy Morgan
     19 Feb: Viola Davis was "in awe" of Robert Duvall when they worked together
     19 Feb: Joshua Bassett's memoir is the "most vulnerable" he's ever been
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    A Sky Sport Now subscription's about to become more costly More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    Fonterra is raising its forecast payout to farmers, following the latest rise in global dairy prices More...



     Today's News

    National:
    Why has Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor been arrested, and what legal protections do the royal family have? 11:17

    Politics:
    Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor released under investigation after almost 10 hours in custody 11:17

    Athletics:
    Pole vaulter Imogen Ayris' career-best form has continued at the world athletics indoor tour gold meet in France 11:07

    Golf:
    Golfer Ryan Fox has birdied two of his first three holes and bogeyed the fourth in the opening round at the latest PGA Tour event 11:07

    Skiing:
    Ally Hickman showed her grit at 2026 Winter Olympics after heavy fall on second run 11:07

    Business:
    Fonterra is raising its forecast payout to farmers, following the latest rise in global dairy prices 10:47

    Business:
    Fonterra's announced an extra dividend for farmers - as it pushes ahead with the sale of its consumer arm 10:27

    National:
    Why Michelangelo’s ‘Last Judgment’ endures 10:07

    International:
    Donald Trump suggests a decision on Iran is likely within 10 days 10:07

    Business:
    Confidence among Auckland businesses has surged to its highest level since 2022, according to the latest survey from the Auckland Business Chamber 10:07


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2026 New Zealand City Ltd