News | Entertainment
19 Feb 2026 10:41
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Entertainment

    Kanye West has legally changed his name to Ye

    The 44-year-old rap star filed a petition last month to officially use his nickname, and a judge in Los Angeles approved his request on Monday (18.10.21)


    The 'Stronger' hitmaker - who split from his wife, Kim Kardashian West, earlier this year - explained to the judge that he was making the name change for personal reasons.

    And Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Michelle Williams Court has now agreed to approve his request, according to Deadline.

    The outspoken rap star has used Ye in his Twitter handle for some time and he also gave the name to his 2018 album.

    What's more, Ye previously explained in a radio interview that his nickname is "the most commonly used word in the Bible", and said that in the Bible, it means "you".

    The chart-topping star also asked to be known as Ye via a Twitter post in 2018.

    He wrote on the micro-blogging platform at the time: "The being formally known as Kanye West. I am YE. (sic)"

    Meanwhile, an insider recently revealed that Kim loves having the support of the rapper.

    The brunette beauty - who has North, eight, Saint, five, Chicago, three, and Psalm, two, with Ye - filed for divorce in February, but they've subsequently remained friends and she's delighted that the rapper has been so supportive of her over recent months.

    A source explained: "Kim and Kanye are friends, but that's it. She is still moving forward with the divorce.

    "She loves having Kanye's support, though. They were not in a good place around the time Kim filed for divorce. She is so happy that things are better now. It's all very beneficial for the kids."

    © 2026 Bang Showbiz, NZCity

     Other Entertainment News
     19 Feb: Viola Davis was "in awe" of Robert Duvall when they worked together
     19 Feb: Joshua Bassett's memoir is the "most vulnerable" he's ever been
     19 Feb: Jason Oppenheim has split from Jessica Vargas
     19 Feb: Robert Duvall has died aged 95
     19 Feb: Chris Hemsworth's appearance on Dancing With the Stars almost cost him his role as Thor
     19 Feb: Carmen Electra wants to date an artist
     19 Feb: Peter Andre was scared of turning 50 because he worried it meant he was "getting old"
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    An All Black is departing the Crusaders at the end of the Super Rugby season More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    The Reserve Bank says we may be seeing a fundamental change in the way our economy operates More...



     Today's News

    Law and Order:
    A person's in hospital with serious injuries consistent with a gunshot wound - after an attack in a South Auckland garage last night 10:37

    Entertainment:
    Viola Davis was "in awe" of Robert Duvall when they worked together 10:27

    National:
    Heart-shaped locket discovery offers rare glimpse into Henry VIII and Katharine of Aragon’s marriage 10:27

    Law and Order:
    A Christchurch murder trial enters day four - with graphic witness accounts of the death and dismemberment of a North Canterbury man 10:27

    National:
    Is this glass square the long, long future of data storage? 10:17

    Law and Order:
    Multiple police vehicles and armed police are swarming a Christchurch street - where four people were injured in a late night altercation 10:07

    National:
    How Jesse Jackson set the stage for Bernie Sanders and today’s progressives 10:07

    Entertainment:
    Joshua Bassett's memoir is the "most vulnerable" he's ever been 9:57

    Entertainment:
    Jason Oppenheim has split from Jessica Vargas 9:27

    Rugby League:
    Kiwis halfback Jahrome Hughes has ruled himself out of playing State of Origin league for Queensland 9:27


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2026 New Zealand City Ltd