News | Entertainment
22 Feb 2026 20:50
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Entertainment

    Prince Andrew could reportedly have his royal patronages restored if he wins his upcoming legal case

    The 61-year-old prince's military titles and royal patronages were returned to the Queen earlier this month, but they could be restored if he wins the civil case brought against him by Virginia Giuffre, according to an insider.


    Speaking to The Times newspaper, the source said: "I think if the Queen is still alive and his name is cleared I would say that at that point what reason would there be for him to be barred from taking part in royal duties?"

    Asked if the situation will be any different if Prince Charles is on the throne, the insider explained: "It's a different decision-maker and different people influencing him and therefore it's slightly less predictable.

    "I think his brother is a very reasonable and intelligent person and I'm sure he will do what's right for the royal family and for the country."

    Buckingham Palace recently confirmed that Andrew's royal patronages have been returned to the Queen.

    It was also announced that he will "continue not to undertake any public duties".

    A statement explained: "With the Queen's approval and agreement, the Duke of York's military affiliations and Royal patronages have been returned to the Queen.

    "The Duke of York will continue not to undertake any public duties and is defending this case as a private citizen."

    The decision was taken after a judge confirmed that Andrew will face a civil case in the US over allegations he sexually assaulted Giuffre when she was 17.

    Giuffre filed a civil suit against Andrew on August 9, 2021, using a New York state law that allows survivors of childhood sexual abuse to sue, regardless of whether the alleged crimes took place outside the statute of limitations.

    Andrew has repeatedly denied Giuffre's allegations.

    © 2026 Bang Showbiz, NZCity

     Other Entertainment News
     22 Feb: Timothee Chalamet thinks AI is set to change the movie business
     22 Feb: Hailey Bieber has found fame to be "mentally exhausting"
     22 Feb: Andrew Windsor has been slammed as "never a prince" by Virginia Giuffre's family
     22 Feb: Paddington Bear is set to bring a marmalade-tinted flourish to this weekend's EE BAFTA Film Awards after being confirmed as a presenter at the ceremony
     22 Feb: Apple Martin has blamed her spot outbreaks on "stress"
     22 Feb: Kate Hudson wouldn't give any advice to her younger self as she has no regrets - even about her mistakes
     22 Feb: King Charles says the "law must take its course" following Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's arrest
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    The Crusaders have been demolished by the Brumbies 50-24 in Christchurch to close out the second week of Super Rugby More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    Fifteen years on from the devastating Christchurch earthquake, belief light may finally be at the end of the tunnel More...



     Today's News

    Entertainment:
    Timothee Chalamet thinks AI is set to change the movie business 20:17

    Entertainment:
    Hailey Bieber has found fame to be "mentally exhausting" 19:47

    International:
    Why has Donald Trump issued Keir Starmer a warning about the Chagos Islands? 19:37

    Entertainment:
    Andrew Windsor has been slammed as "never a prince" by Virginia Giuffre's family 19:17

    Law and Order:
    Police are asking for public help to find John Joseph Paparoa, who is wanted in relation to dishonesty, assault and firearm-related offending 18:57

    Entertainment:
    Paddington Bear is set to bring a marmalade-tinted flourish to this weekend's EE BAFTA Film Awards after being confirmed as a presenter at the ceremony 18:47

    Cricket:
    The Central Stags have won domestic cricket's one day Ford Trophy, after demolishing Canterbury by six wickets in the final 18:37

    General:
    The curtain comes down on the Milano-Cortina Winter Olympics overnight 18:27

    Entertainment:
    Apple Martin has blamed her spot outbreaks on "stress" 18:17

    Soccer:
    Belief the issues at the Wellington Phoenix run deeper than just departed coach Giancarlo Italiano 18:07


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2026 New Zealand City Ltd