News | Politics
30 Nov 2025 8:21
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Politics

    A record number of people have taken a bite out of their Kiwisaver to satisfy financial hardship

    A record number of people have taken a bite out of their Kiwisaver to satisfy financial hardship


    New Zealanders took more than 109-million-dollars out of their KiwiSaver accounts last year.

    The Financial Services Council's Richard Klipin says withdrawal numbers would be expected to naturally grow alongside Kiwisaver membership.

    But he says people have valid reasons for needing the money - and those struggling to manage finances often look for money where ever they can.

    Klipin says the fund is meant for retirement savings - so accessing it earlier will impact the long-term outcome.

    © 2025 Newstalk ZB, NZCity

     Other Politics News
     29 Nov: Changes to regional councils could create debate about what to do with the assets they own
     29 Nov: Imran Khan's son and political allies concerned about his health amid block on prison visits
     29 Nov: Labour's leader is not shying away from a campaign in the Maori seats
     29 Nov: Labour leader Chris Hipkins says his team is energised and focused on making the coalition Government a one-term Government
     28 Nov: The Abuse in Care Lead Minister says a privacy breach involving survivors, was extraordinarily avoidable
     28 Nov: Cybersecurity experts warn Kiwis not to get caught up in Black Friday madness
     27 Nov: The Finance Minister's celebrating record export numbers, despite a turbulent environment
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    Springbok skipper Siya Kolisi is sticking up for Eben Etzebeth , despite the big lock being sent off for eye gouging in South Africa's huge 73-nil win over Wales in Cardiff More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    Changes to regional councils could create debate about what to do with the assets they own More...



     Today's News

    Hockey:
    The New Zealand men's have lost to Belgium 5-1 in their final pool match at 2025 Sultan of Azlan Shah Cup in Malaysia  8:17

    Entertainment:
    Jodie Sweetin first drank alcohol at Cadance Cameron Bure's wedding when she was just 14 8:08

    Soccer:
    Auckland United have achieved their third consecutive women's national league title with a one-nil win over Eastern Suburbs in their final in Auckland 8:07

    Motoring:
    Kiwi Formula One driver Liam Lawson will start 12th on the grid for tomorrow's Qatar Grand Prix 7:57

    Motoring:
    Chaz Mostert has kept his Supercars title hopes alive after a remarkable drive in the penultimate race of the season in Adelaide 7:47

    Entertainment:
    Sir David Beckham amuses fans by recreating his "be honest" moment from his documentary 7:38

    International:
    Why Barbados became a republic and cut ties with the British monarchy 7:37

    Rugby:
    Springbok skipper Siya Kolisi is sticking up for Eben Etzebeth , despite the big lock being sent off for eye gouging in South Africa's huge 73-nil win over Wales in Cardiff 7:37

    Motoring:
    Qualifying is underway for Formula One's Qatar Grand Prix 7:27

    Soccer:
    Sunderland is a surprise fourth in the English Premier League after a 3-2 win over Bournemouth 7:17


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2025 New Zealand City Ltd