News | Entertainment
16 Sep 2019 6:07
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Entertainment

    Star Wars' Ewan McGregor confirms he's back as Obi-Wan Kenobi for new series

    It's a surprise to be sure, but a welcome one. Ewan McGregor will reprise his role from the Star Wars prequel trilogy for a new TV series airing on Disney's yet-to-launch streaming service.


    We already knew Disney would be leaning heavily on Star Wars in its efforts to get consumers to sign up for yet another streaming service, but now the company has given a clearer idea of what they're offering from a galaxy far, far away.

    The biggest news from the D23 Expo is that Ewan McGregor will be returning to his celebrated role as Obi-Wan Kenobi — from the not-so-loved Star Wars prequels — in a new Disney+ series.

    "It's been four years of saying, 'Well, I don't know.' Now I can say, 'Yes, we're going to do it,'" the actor said to cheers from the crowd.

    McGregor was seen by many fans as the best part of the otherwise largely maligned trilogy The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith.

    His new series, which still doesn't have a name nor any other details beyond his involvement, is expected to start filming next year.

    Releasing much sooner on November 12 this year (a week before Disney+ launches in Australia on November 19) is another live-action Star Wars show, The Mandalorian.

    We already knew it was coming, but now Disney has given us our first look at the show:

    Set between the fall of the Empire and the rise of the First Order, it tells the story of a gunfighter (played by Game of Thrones' Pedro Pascal) from Mandalore, the same planet that produced the bounty hunter Boba Fett.

    It looks like the series will have a darker tone than what we've come to expect from Star Wars, given the battered Stormtrooper masks on pikes and violent action sequences we see in the trailer.

    Last month, creator Jon Favreau (director of The Lion King remake and Iron Man) revealed to Collider he was already working on season two.

    It will be a slightly longer wait for the next series of Clone Wars, which will premiere on Disney+ in February 2020.

    Meanwhile, Marvel fans still reeling from the loss of Spider-Man from the Marvel Cinematic Universe will be glad to know another three series have been announced for Disney+: She-Hulk, Ms Marvel and Moon Knight.

    That's on top of already announced series which include Elizabeth Olsen (Scarlet Witch), Jeremy Renner (Hawkeye) and Tom Hiddleston (Loki) returning to their Marvel film roles.

    Beyond Star Wars and Marvel content, Disney+ will include the return of Hilary Duff as Lizzie McGuire, now in her late 20s and living in New York, and a new High School Musical series, along with Pixar films and The Simpsons back catalogue.

    A live-action remake of Lady and Tramp will dodge cinemas and instead launch on the streaming service when it goes live in November.

    Netflix is the market leader for streaming in Australia, but one expert says research suggests Disney will be a powerful player in the market.


    ABC




    © 2019 ABC Australian Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved


     Other Entertainment News
     14 Sep: Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson bonded with his late friend Paul Walker over the “pride and protection” they took in being fathers
     14 Sep: Kim Kardashian West “isn’t a fan” of the “simple housing” at the $14 million Wyoming ranch her husband Kanye West purchased
     14 Sep: Lisa Kudrow “struggled” to play Phoebe Buffay on ‘Friends’
     14 Sep: Paul Cronin, celebrated Australian actor, dies aged 81
     14 Sep: Kevin Hart will be “back on track in no time” following his car accident, according to his wife Eniko Parrish
     14 Sep: Eva Mendes says date night with Ryan Gosling “takes a lot of prep”
     14 Sep: Sharon Osbourne says her husband Ozzy Osbourne is “getting a lot better” following a year of health battles
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    Tasman have been given a wake-up call in their Mitre 10 Cup match against North Harbour in Nelson More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    Restaurant franchise Wagamama owes nearly five-million-dollars to creditors, including former staff left out of pocket More...



     Today's News

    Rugby:
    Tasman have been given a wake-up call in their Mitre 10 Cup match against North Harbour in Nelson 5:46

    Netball:
    Silver Ferns coach Noeline Taurua's bid at a third successive Australian domestic netball title has fallen short 4:46

    Health & Safety:
    A warning for people in Hokitika, after a chemical hose burst at the Westland Milk Products factory 4:36

    Motorsports:
    Series leader Scott McLaughlin has won race two of the Supercars' round at Pukekohe 21:57

    Rugby League:
    Broncos coach Anthony Seibold's proud of what his side's managed to achieve in a tough NRL season 18:57

    Cricket:
    England have the chance to secure a consolation Ashes cricket test victory against Australia tonight at The Oval 18:37

    Rugby League:
    Sydney Roosters prop Jared Waerea-Hargreaves will head to the NRL judiciary for the second time in a week after pleading not guilty of a foot-trip 17:27

    Tennis:
    New Zealand have won their Davis Cup tennis tie against Indonesia in Jakarta 16:57

    Law and Order:
    Police are asking for help finding a man who has gone missing near the Taranaki town of Stratford 16:47

    Motorsports:
    Red Bull Racing are continuing their dominance at the Supercars' round at Pukekohe this weekend 14:57


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2019 New Zealand City Ltd