News | Entertainment
3 Apr 2020 11:08
NZCity News
NZCity CalculatorReturn to NZCity

  • Start Page
  • Personalise
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • Shopping
  • Jobs
  • Horoscopes
  • Lotto Results
  • Photo Gallery
  • Site Gallery
  • TVNow
  • Dating
  • SearchNZ
  • NZSearch
  • Crime.co.nz
  • RugbyLeague
  • Make Home
  • About NZCity
  • Contact NZCity
  • Your Privacy
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Join for Free

  •   Home > News > Entertainment

    Prince Harry and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, say they "require effective security" after stepping back from royal duties

    The couple have agreed to stop using their Sussex Royal brand when they step down as senior members of the royal family on March 31 but they have insisted that they will continue to need a security detail after this time, although it is not clear who will pay for it


    In a statement on their Sussex Royal website, Harry and Meghan said: "It is agreed that The Duke and Duchess of Sussex will continue to require effective security to protect them and their son. This is based on The Duke’s public profile by virtue of being born into The Royal Family, his military service, the Duchess’ own independent profile, and the shared threat and risk level documented specifically over the last few years. No further details can be shared as this is classified information for safety reasons."

    The pair also claim that there is no "jurisdiction" to prevent them using the word royal in their branding, but say that nonetheless they will not use it after Spring 2020.

    They wrote: "As The Duke and Duchess will no longer be considered full-time working Members of The Royal Family, it was agreed that use of the word ‘Royal’ would need to be reviewed as it pertains to organisations associated with them in this new regard.

    "While there is not any jurisdiction by The Monarchy or Cabinet Office over the use of the word ‘Royal’ overseas, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex do not intend to use ‘Sussex Royal’ or any iteration of the word ‘Royal’ in any territory (either within the UK or otherwise) when the transition occurs Spring 2020.

    "The Duke and Duchess of Sussex eagerly await the opportunity to share more with you and greatly appreciate your support!"

    Harry, 35, and Meghan, 38, announced their decision to step down from the royal family in an Instagram post last month.

    It read: "After many months of reflection and internal discussions, we have chosen to make a transition this year in starting to carve out a progressive new role within this institution.

    "We intend to step back as 'senior' members of the Royal Family and work to become financially independent, while continuing to fully support Her Majesty The Queen.

    "It is with your encouragement, particularly over the last few years, that we feel prepared to make this adjustment."

    © 2020 Bang Showbiz, NZCity


     Other Entertainment News
     02 Apr: Aaron Carter’s girlfriend Melanie Martinez has been arrested for alleged domestic abuse
     02 Apr: Britain comes to terms with its darkest day yet as the coronavirus death toll jumps by a third
     02 Apr: Hayley Williams using self-isolation to learn important life skills
     02 Apr: Andy Cohen says coronavirus made him exhausted
     02 Apr: Prince William reportedly wants to return to the air ambulance service amid the coronavirus pandemic
     02 Apr: Jameela Jamil regrets coming out as queer when she did
     02 Apr: Nikki Bella “couldn’t imagine bedtime without” her fiancé Artem Chigvintsev
     Top Stories

    RUGBY RUGBY
    Eddie Jones will coach England through to the 2023 Rugby World Cup in France More...


    BUSINESS BUSINESS
    British Airways has agreed to suspend 28-thousand workers on 80 percent pay due to the coronavirus crisis More...



     Today's News

    International:
    Skull of a toddler is the oldest known fossil of the earliest human, Homo erectus 11:07

    Business:
    British Airways has agreed to suspend 28-thousand workers on 80 percent pay due to the coronavirus crisis 10:47

    International:
    Smoking and coronavirus: Why experts say people who smoke fare worse if they get COVID-19 10:27

    Health & Safety:
    Auckland's Waitemata DHB's piloting at-home ECG monitors for patients needing long-term care 10:27

    Business:
    Two hundred jobs have been cut from Sky City in this country, with immediate effect 10:07

    Business:
    Calls for financial compensation to students left with no specialised university facilities 9:27

    Law and Order:
    Coronavirus update: Spain's death toll hits 10,000, Australia passes 5,000 confirmed cases, PM announces free child care 9:07

    Sailing:
    American Magic are in a race to complete their second boat ahead of next year's America's Cup 8:07

    Politics:
    Southern leaders are pleading with locals to follow the lockdown rules and take the pandemic seriously 7:57

    Law and Order:
    Cars are being locked out of Auckland's parks and beaches, to stop people leaving their neighbourhoods to have a break from the lockdown 7:57


     News Search






    Power Search


    © 2020 New Zealand City Ltd